A classic chocolate & pumpkin flavor combo gets a fun twist in these quick and easy thumbprint cookies! Festive, fun, and so yummy!
I usually keep a big fat supply of semi sweet chocolate chips in my pantry. I use them so often that I buy them in bulk and always have them on hand. But this week, I ran out. I was in the mood for some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and by “in the mood” I mean that I had a serious craving, one that can only be satisfied by that pumpkin-chocoalte combo. So when I discovered my pantry was seriously lacking in the semi-sweet chocolate chip department, I honestly had a miniature kiniption fit and a less-than-miniature panic attack.
But then I had an idea, a stroke of brilliance really. I had zero chocolate chips, but I had chocolate kisses. And suddenly I thought, of course, I’ll make thumbprint cookies!
Queue the singing angels.
This is chewy pumpkin chocolate yumminess we are talking here. These cookies are easy and let’s be honest, they’re really cute. So I’m thinking a half-batch for yourself and the rest would make a perfect neighbor gift so impressive you’ll become the talk of the block. Orrr, just gobble them all up yourself. No judging here, I ate way more than my share this week. Fun, festive, and so adorable you just might want to adopt them. These are a must-make Fall treat!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large bag of chocolate kiss candies, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cream together butter and sugars. Add vanilla and egg and mix well. Add puree and mix again.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until dough comes together.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet. Gently smash down each ball, just to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown and cookies look "dry".
- Immediately after removing from the oven, use the end of a wooden spoon (or similar object) to gently press a hole halfway into the cookie (not all the way through). Allow to cool completely.
- When cookies have cooled, press a chocolate kiss candy into the center of each cookie. Store in airtight container.