Andes Mint Grasshopper Cupcakes – Moist chocolate cupcakes towered high with a fluffy mint buttercream frosting and topped with crushed Andes Mints candies!
Well, our two week #EastCoastAdventure has officially begun. Did I tell you why I was visiting the East Coast? My husband travels to D.C. for work a few times a year and I go with him when I can. This time we are here for two work weeks and then visiting Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks. I am ridiculously EXCITED! But I am already pining for my kitchen. I need flour! I need sprinkles! Don’t worry though, I’ve got scads of tasty recipes ready to share with you. I’ve been crazy-busy for the past few weeks stockpiling recipes for the trip. Lots of goodness happening while I’m out of town.
We’re gonna have to find an Irish Pub or something to get a good St. Patty’s Day meal while we’re out of town. Anybody know some good places around the Arlington to D.C. area? We celebrated with our fams last weekend since we’d be out of town for the big green event. I made cupcakes. Duh. Andes Mint Grasshopper Cupcakes. Soft, moist chocolatey cupcakes with fluffy smooth mint frosting and topped with amazing little bits of Andes Mints. Yumm-o!!
Andes Mint Grasshopper Cupcakes
- 1 box devils food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup melted butter - (4 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup sour cream - or fat free plain greek yogurt
- 8 ounces cream cheese - at room temperature
- ½ cup butter - at room temperature
- 4-5 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk - or heavy cream
- 10 andes mints - chopped*
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift cake mix into a medium bowl. In another larger bowl mix together eggs, oil, melted butter, vanilla, buttermilk, and sour cream (or greek yogurt). Gently mix in sifted cake mix until just combined and smooth. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter into each cupcake liner. Bake 14-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pans and allowing to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Add cream cheese and mint extract and mix 1 minute more until combined. Add powdered sugar and milk and mix until fluffy and smooth. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Top with crushed andes mints. Store in airtight container at room temperature.