Hot Chocolate Beltway Cookies – Buttery, chocolate meltaway cookies topped with chocolate ganache, mini marshmallows, and crushed peppermint sticks! Everything you love about hot chocolate in a melt-in-your-mouth cookie!
I tried. I tried sooooo hard to wait until after Thanksgiving to post Christmas-y cookie recipes. Really, I gave it my best shot. But there’s Christmas stuff in the stores, and Christmas songs on the radio, and we even have snow on the top of the mountains around here which, by the way, I can see from my window at this very moment so…. I’m throwing in the towel.
Christmas cookies are happening.
Someday they’ll understand. When they can eat cookies you know?
Bottom line, the kidlets and I have been all over the place today so this post might be all over the place too.
But if the babes could eat these cookies, then they would tell you that they are without a doubt a must-make this holiday season. They are buttery and chocolatey and rich and covered in hot chocolate-ish goodness. It’s everything I love in a cup of hot cocoa rolled into one delicious cookie.
Between shots with my camera I may have snuck a bite or two…..
Okay I snuck a whole cookie or two.
Try them, you’ll get it.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ⅓ cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes
- Whisk together flour, corn starch, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. Add butter, vanilla, and milk and mix to combine. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Roll dough into 1½ inch balls and place 2-3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Gently smash the dough balls with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly (they should be about ¾ inch tall now, they will not spread much while baking.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet.
- Once the cookies have cooled, prepare the topping. Microwave chocolate chips and milk in a microwave-safe bowl on half power for 2 minutes. Stir, then return to microwave on half power for 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each, until smooth. Spread over cookies.
- Top with mini marshmallows and crushed candy canes. Store in airtight container at room temperature.