Quick, easy, and healthy Shrimp Asparagus Carbonara you can whip up in 30 minutes or less!
I guess it’s just the way these things work but it’s been so chilly this week and I have been carb-o-loading. Tons of pasta. Actually, I didn’t even notice it until I had dragged my husband to the market to get our groceries for the week and he said something about the excessive number of pasta packages we were stuffing in the cart. One…two…seven….
Huh. Guess it’s pasta week in this house!
But this dish, it’s really not about the pasta. I mean it is. But the noodles, they just aren’t the star of the show (sorry Fettuccine, you know I love you though). And for once (can’t believe I’m going to say this) the sauce isn’t even the star of the show. That never happens! Usually when I make pasta it’s because darn it, I really need a way to shovel that sauce into my face without seeming completely barbaric so I stuff some pasta noodles under it and voila!
Today though we are using a simple carbonara sauce which is basically a mixture of eggs, parmesan, parsley, and salt and pepper. Seems simple? It is simple. That’s what makes it so awesome.
So let’s get into it shall we? The first thing you’re going to do is boil your pasta, drain, and set aside. I would’ve included pictures but… bo-ring. But then you’re gonna grab your favorite skillet or pan – check out my trusty Calphalon, isn’t she a beauty?? – and start sautéing your asparagus, shrimp, and mushrooms (if you’re a mushroom fan, if not skip em!).
And I’m just saying, if you’ve got a birthday or you know Mother’s and Father’s days are coming up, Calphalon has some other stellar tools like tongs, spoons, and the perfect pot for boiling pasta so just take a look at the bottom of the post if you’re thinking about getting yourself (or a loved one) one or alllllll of them.
Okay enough cookware talk. Back to the PASTA.
Next mix up that classic carbonara sauce…
twosecondsanddone. Love it.
Now toss your noodles with the sauce and add everything to the pan. Saute til it’s nice n’ hot.
And do not, I repeat – DO NOT – forget the bacon. The whole bacon n’ shrimp thing we’ve got going on here is nothing short of beautiful.
Now stick it in a bowl, load it up with more parmesan and freshly cracked black pepper….
…and DIG IN.
Shrimp Asparagus Carbonara
- 1-2 pounds medium or large shrimp - de-veined and tails removed
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus - trimmed and chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms - (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces fettuccine - (or similar pasta like linguini or spaghetti)
- 4 slices bacon - or pancetta, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese - plus more for topping
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to package's directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan or skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add shrimp, asparagus, and mushrooms (optional) and saute for 2-3 minutes until asparagus is tender and shrimp is pink and fully cooked. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute longer until fragrant. Remove pan from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, parmesan salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon each) and parsley. Toss that mixture with your noodles in a large bowl to coat the pasta well.
- Add pasta to pan with the shrimp and asparagus and return to heat. Saute for 3-4 minutes until hot and fragrant. Stir in bacon. Serve warm sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper if desired.
Recipe adapted from Delicious Recipe Pins.
I partnered up with the Shrimp Council and Calphalon to bring you this scrumptious pasta recipe.
Eat Shrimp on Facebook
Eat Shrimp on Pinterest
And if you’re interested in learning more about the awesome Calphalon cookware I used to create this pasta I’ve got the deets right here!
1. Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 2-pc. Fry Pan Set Now dishwasher safe for easy cleanup, Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick is created with multi-layer nonstick for ultra-durability. The stunning, contemporary design looks beautiful in the kitchen, and heavy-gauge, hard-anodized aluminum ensures even heating.
2. Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 3.5 qt. Pour and Strain Sauce Pan Combining durability and performance with fast clean-up and easy low-fat cooking, this pan is perfect for preparing your pasta. BONUS: The pan also features durable, cast stainless steel loop handles for easy gripping.
3. Calphalon Stainless Steel Utensils Silicone Tipped Tongs Crafted from stainless steel with heat-resistant soft-touch silicone accents, these utensils give you a perfect balance of durability and comfort. PLUS, these tongs are great for picking up your shrimp without scratching the pan!
4. Calphalon Nylon Utensils 2-pc. Small Slotted Spoon and Turner Set This uniquely designed spoon and turner set features corners with different shapes, allowing utensils to reach into the edge of almost any size pan.