This Tortellini Soup with Sausage features red peppers, onions, spicy Italian sausage, Italian seasonings, and last but not least, cheesy tortellini pasta. It’s the perfect blend of comfort foods and so so easy to make.
Why This Recipe Works
Hands-off: This crockpot tortellini soup with sausage couldn’t be easier! Just throw it all in the slow cooker, let it cook for 6-8 hours, stir in your tortellini, and call it a day. A delicious slow cooker soup day. If you don’t have a slow cooker, let it cook in a stock pot for 1-2 hours on low heat instead.
Ultimate Comfort Food: There’s something about combining pasta and soup that just screams *comfort food* to me and it’s absolutely perfect for this time of year. Tortellini soup with sausage not only is full of flavor, but the ingredients are filling and super comforting.
Adaptable: Just like most soups, tortellini soup with sausage is versatile and you can adapt it to your tastes! If you want a veggie packed soup, add additional veggies like carrots, mushrooms or kale. You can also make this soup dairy free by opting for pasta without cheese, or gluten free by adding rice pasta.
Ingredients for Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Italian Sausage Links- You can go for spicy or mild, depending on your preference. I freeze mine and slice it when it is just thawed enough to cut through.
- Red Bell Pepper– I like the taste of red bell pepper in this recipe, but orange or yellow would work well too!
- Onion– Diced yellow or white onion is best.
- Italian Seasoning– For seasoning, Italian seasoning is best. If you don’t have Italian seasoning on had, combine some basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme & marjoram.
- Lemon Juice– Juice from a lemon is added to life the flavors and bring them together.
- Garlic Powder– Season with garlic powder for added flavor.
- Chicken Broth– You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth if you prefer.
- Tortellini Pasta– Don’t forget the star of the show! Cheese stuffed tortellini pasta is the way to go here.
Here’s How You Make It
Step by Step Instructions
- Allow the sausage links to thaw just enough so that you can slice them. Slice them into 1/4 inch thick coins.
- Add sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, garlic powder and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, stir in the tortellini. Cover and allow to cook until tortellini is tender and hot throughout.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
- This tortellini soup with sausage recipe is great for making ahead and freezing! Just keep out the tortellini until you are ready to eat it. You can make the base of the soup, let it cool and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge for a few hours before popping it into the slow cooker or a stock pot to heat on low. Then add the tortellini at the end!
- Keep in mind that hot Italian sausage packs a spicy punch! So if you are sensitive to spiciness, get mild sausage and then add some crushed red pepper flakes while cooking if you need more spice.
- Use fresh or frozen tortellini and adjust the cooking time accordingly. Fresh usually takes about 10 minutes to cook whereas frozen will take about 20 minutes.
- Add the rind from a block of parmesan cheese into the slow cooker for extra flavor if you have one! This adds a unique umami flavor to the soup. Discard it at the end before serving.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Five Bean Vegetarian Chili & Cornbread
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- 3 large Italian sausage links - frozen (regular or spicy)
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- juice of 1 small lemon - (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces tortellini pasta
- freshly chopped parsley - optional
- Allow sausage links to thaw just enough that you can slice them. Slice sausage into 1/4-inch thick coins.
- Add sausage, bell pepper, onion, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, garlic powder, and chicken broth to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving stir in tortellini. Cover and allow to cook until tortellini is tender and hot throughout.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve.