You’re not sick of my minty/pepperminty recipes are you? Good. I have this weird thing with holidays and years and seasons, they have foodie themes. Like this summer, was The Summer Of Strawberries. I ate strawberries every single day with my breakfast, lunch, and dinner and made scads of strawberry recipes. August was The Month of Coconut. This Christmas is turning out to be The Christmas of Mint & Peppermint. Next year maybe it will be the December of Gingerbread.
These cookies are soft and fluffy and taste like a mini sugar cookie! They are SO easy to make, even with the creamy chocolate-filled centers! You can whip these tasty little beauties out in an hour and be eating yummy Peppermint Kiss Thumbprint Cookies in no time at all! I’m taking these to my family tonight, I can’t wait to see how much they love them! Well…. that is, if I can keep myself from eating them at all and have any left to share! And aren’t they pretty?! I love pretty cookies!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- red food coloring
- one bag peppermint Hershey kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Mix in egg yolks, vanilla, and almond extract. In another, medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until all ingredients are incorporated. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Use your thumb, or the end of a wooden spoon to make a well in the top if each dough ball.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool 5 minutes before carefully removing from pan and allowing to finish cooling. When cookies are cool enough to touch, gently press down the center of the cookie to re-form the well.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds until all chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Reserve ¼ cup of the chocolate and set aside. Add 3-6 drops (according to preference of color) of red food coloring to the large portion of chocolate and mix until smooth and even in coloring. Fill each cookie well with about 1 teaspoon of red chocolate. Spoon reserved white chocolate into a small ziplock bag. Seal the bag and snip off a TINY bit of one bottom corner. Drizzle the white chocolate onto the cookies in any pattern you like. Gently press one peppermint kiss candy into the center of each cookie. Allow to cool completely and let chocolate set 1 hour (or you can stick them in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to speed up the process!). Optional: sprinkle cooled cookies with granulated white sugar for a fun and fancy look!