Oven Baked Crab Avocado Wontons – Crab and avocado stuffed wontons – not fried! – baked crispy in the oven! A huge hit at any meal or party!
I have 5 sisters. Have I told you that? I do. And 3 brothers. Yep, that makes 9 of us. No halvsies or steps, just 9 crazy siblings under one roof with 2 crazier parents who had the heart and patience to take care of us hooligans. Annnnyway one of my sisters, Kristy, makes super super yummy crab wontons. So. Dang. Good. I always request them when I know she might be bringing an appetizer to a family party. And she usually obliges. What are sisters for if not to make every food you desire at your beckon call??
This is my sister Kristy with her oldest girl. They adopted her and she is the CUTEST thing my eyes have ever seen. Here she is going to town on my favorite Cookies n’ Cream Pudding Pops. Just look at that face. I die.
But these wontons. They are inspired by my sisters. There was no family party in the near future and I was really craving Kristy’s crab wontons. Um, that’s a problem. My cravings are more like a life-or-death thing. So I decided to try my own – minus the frying. She always deep fries hers on the back patio at my parents but as you know, I have this irrational fear about deep frying so I turned to the oven instead. I have absolutely no problem with oven frying – I’ve done onion rings, sweet potato fries, sweet potato chips, mozzarella sticks… I’m getting pretty good at it.
The other change I made to her wontons is that I stuffed these babies with avocado. Cause avocados? They’re my second love. Green and creamy and so delicious I could cry. I adore them. So I added avocados to my wontons and the results were crazy-delicious! They are so easy, so yummy, so must-make for your next dinner, family party, TGIF celebration. I don’t care what the occasion is, just make these Crab Avocado Wontons pronto! Create your own holiday if you must.
- 8 ounces imitation crab meat
- 2 avocados
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 24-30 small wonton wrappers
- 3 tablespoons water
- sweet and sour dipping sauce or sweet chili sauce (you can find these kinds of dipping sauces in the Asian section at the grocery store)
- optional: sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine crab, avocados, cream cheese, green onions, and chili powder. Mix together until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the crab-avocado mixture in the center of each wonton. Place water in a small bowl. Dip your fingers in the water and then pinch together the sides of the wontons so that they stick together. Lay each triangular wonton in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Spray wontons heavily with cooking spray.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until tops begin to brown. Remove from oven and carefully flip wontons over. Return to oven and bake another 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving with dipping sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired (definitely optional).