A creamy classic gets a twist in this Avocado Egg Salad! This easy, family favorite is SO tasty, it will be your go-to egg salad recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
So Delicious: If you, like me, grew up thinking eggs, mayo, and mustard had no business living between your slices of lunch bread, well this is going to be a game changer for you. This creamy, super flavorful easy egg salad will be your new favorite thing since sliced bread. Coincidentally, it goes perfectly with sliced bread.
Super Easy: This avocado egg salad takes less than 15 minutes to whip up and is a serious game changer for my sandwich routine. With savory, crisp bacon and smooth avocado, this egg salad takes things up a notch!
Adjustable: You can make this egg salad your own depending on your preferences! If you want a healthier egg salad sandwich, take out the bacon. Or, you can put your egg salad on a bed of lettuce instead of sliced bread! Another option is to put this avocado egg salad on a bagel or a croissant for something different.
Ingredients for Avocado Egg Salad
- Eggs– Hard boil your eggs and roughly chop them up.
- Avocado– Dice your avocado into bite sized pieces. In this recipe, I don’t mash the avocado because the bigger chunks are a nice flavor a texture combination!
- Bacon– Use cooked bacon and roughly chop up. You can cook your own bacon before hand!
- Green Onions– Also known as scallions. Chop these up for flavor and a nice crunchy texture!
- Reduced Fat Mayo– I like to use reduced fat mayo to keep this egg salad as healthy as possible.
- Dijon Mustard– Dijon mustard adds a wonderful flavor to this salad.
- Lemon– A little bit of fresh squeezed lemon to top it off rounds off the flavors and adds a brightness.
- Seasonings: Salt & Pepper, Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika
Here’s How You Make It
- After chopping your ingredients, add them to a mixing bowl with the mayo, mustard, lemon and seasonings. Stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Serve the egg mixture on bread or a croissant, in a tortilla, or on a bed of lettuce. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
In general, egg salad cannot be stored for very long due to the mayonnaise. You can store this one for up to 2 days in an airtight container. The avocado will start to oxidize and turn brown if you go any longer than that!
You can definitely prep your avocado egg salad ahead of time. Keep the avocado out of the salad until you are ready to eat and then mix in the diced avocado before serving.
To perfectly boil an egg, place your eggs in a pot of cold water. Turn the heat to medium high, and place a lid on the pot. Let the water come to a rolling boil, then turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit on the stove with the lid on the pot for 10 minutes. Take the eggs out and place them in an ice bath. With this method, you can get perfectly hard boiled eggs every time!
- Try not to overcook your eggs. You want them hard boiled, but not so hard boiled that the yolk has turned from yellow to green. I typically boil my eggs for no more than 10 minutes.
- Dice, don’t mash the avocado. Many other egg salad with avocado recipes call for you to smash the avocado. For my recipe, I like there to be chunks of avocado for the texture and flavor.
- Try using homemade mayonnaise! Egg salad will only taste as good as the ingredients that are put into it. Try using homemade mayo and fresh herbs on top for an even more elevated avocado egg salad sandwich!
More Recipes to Try
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Cranberry Pecan Turkey Salad
- Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Avocado Chicken Pasta Salad
- Apple Pecan Chicken Salad
Avocado Egg Salad
- 8 hard boiled eggs - roughly chopped
- 1 avocado - diced
- 3 strips bacon - cooked til almost crispy, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup reduced fat mayo
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt - or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper - or to taste
- juice of ¼ lemon - (about 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice)
- optional: ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- sliced bread or croissant, for serving
- In a large bowl combine eggs, avocado, bacon, mayo, dijon mustard, and seasonings and stir to combine.
- Spread egg mixture generously on bread or croissant and serve as a sandwich OR serve rolled in a soft flour tortilla as a wrap.