Crispy oven-baked chicken fries! Perfect for a main dish or an appetizer, dip them in your favorite sauces!
I love foods that have double identities. Depending on the occasion or your mood, you can switch it up. Like salads. You can whip up an easy side salad, but adding some protein or cheese or veggies can turn it into a hearty main dish. Admittedly, I probably take this idea a little too far sometimes. I sort of think that ice cream can double as both dessert and breakfast.
These chicken fries are basically chameleons. They’re very adaptive. You can serve them as a main dish, or an appetizer.
Once again, there are quite a few appetizers I’ve eaten for my entire dinner. Can’t help myself, they’re too delicious to have just as a precursor to something else.
Some fast food restaurants serve chicken fries, which is actually how I was inspired for these ones. But these chicken fries are just as tasty (maybe more tasty) as the restaurant versions, but less expensive and less greasy. Both of those are plenty good reasons to whip these babies up. They are easy as pie I tell ya. And quick! In less than 30 minutes you’ll have the yummiest chicken fries ever on the table and the whole family will beg you to make them again and again!
Baked Chicken Fries
- 3 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup ketchup OR BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease a baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder and add mixture to a bag. Add sliced chicken strips to bag, toss to coat chicken in flour mixture.
- Whisk together eggs and water in a small bowl. Dip flour-coated chicken strips in the egg mixture, then toss in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Place coated chicken strips on greased baking sheet and spray heavily with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Whisk together mayo and ketchup OR BBQ sauce. Serve this (or any other favorite dipping sauce) with chicken fries.