Easy and healthy baked lemon herb chicken & potatoes is a cinch to fix and perfect for busy weeknights and picky eaters – a winner with everybody to tries it!
I grew up on potatoes. I’ll bet they made an appearance on the dinner table at the very least once or twice a week. And after all of those years of potato-eating, I never got sick of them. I still love potatoes and I doubt that I’ll ever get bored of them. My mama hardly ever peels her potatoes, she leaves the skin on and that definitely stuck with me – I never peel mine either. Not even for my all-time favorite, famous slow cooker mashed potatoes.
I feel like potatoes are so versatile, they go with just about anything, and they go PERFECTLY with lemon herb chicken. The only thing better than making lemon herb chicken and potatoes both on the same night for dinner, is making them in ONE DISH so that you have a main and a side all in one. Less prep, less cleanup.
I’ll just answer your question right now about using brown or russet potatoes – yes. You can definitely use brown/russet potatoes. That being said, I highly recommend using gold or red if you are buying potatoes. I understand that you might have a bag of ready-to-use potatoes sitting in your pantry, and if that’s the case you should use those. BUT. I really really really love red and gold potatoes, particularly with lemon and herb seasonings. The skin is more tender and flavorful and they tend to cook more quickly and take on more flavor…. they’re my favorite.
One last thing to note. As an optional additional step, you can add some more color to your chicken by either 1) browning the chicken in oiled pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side before baking OR 2) you can flip the oven to broil for the last 5-ish minutes. Neither are totally necessary but I like my chicken to have a lot of color and a little bit crispier exterior and that’s how I like to make that happen.
What people are saying about this Baked Lemon Herb Chicken & Potatoes
“I tried this for dinner tonight, and my husband and I loved it! The chicken turned out to be very tender, and the potatoes were perfect. I browned the chicken in olive oil first, and lightly seasoned it with pepper, before placing it in the pan. We would definitely make this meal again, and would serve it to company. a delicious and healthy supper.” – Carol
“Husband and kids loved it! My potatoes were cooked fine. I did bump it up to broil about the last 10 minutes. Thanks for the great addition to our dinner rotation.” – Jen
“Delicious supper…thank you for the great recipe. I’ll be making this again. Easy and healthy.” – Carol
Baked Lemon Herb Chicken & Potatoes
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts OR 4-6 medium-large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3-4 cups chopped red and/or gold potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lemon, plus juice from two additional lemons (3 lemons total)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- fresh herbs for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a large baking dish.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange chicken and chopped potatoes on baking dish. Thinly slice one lemon and slide lemon slices between some of the potatoes and chicken.
- Whisk together melted butter, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice (from remaining two lemons), and butter. Drizzle mixture over chicken and potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are fork-tender. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired and serve.