Flaky, perfectly baked lemon parmesan salmon & asparagus in foil is an easy and healthy 30 minute meal with fantastic flavor.
Loving this Baked Lemon Parmesan Salmon & Asparagus in Foil? Try these recipes for Honey Balsamic Bruschetta Salmon, Baked Honey Cilantro Lime Salmon, and Garlic Dijon Shrimp and Salmon Foil Packs.
This recipe. It’s EVERYthing. It’s my go-to dinner for rescuing busy Tuesdays and the dish to impress company for any occasion. Healthy, delicious, easy, and quick…all wrapped up in one delicious package.
My brother drove up from Arizona last week and showed up completely unannounced at my Dad’s birthday party. It was a total surprise but much needed. We chat almost daily – usually via text, often at 1:30 in the morning, sometimes on the phone – but I only see him in person a couple of times a year. Annnnnyway, back to the point. We had my brother and my sister (who I see on a much more regular basis but who had yet to come over for dinner) and this salmon was on the menu.
Luckily, it was a huge hit and that ginormous salmon you see in these photos?? We devoured every last bite of it! Also? There are very few things I love more in this world than a main dish and a side dish made in one pan. So little prep, so little cleanup, and everything is done at the same time! This is the magic meal you’ve been looking for your whole life — trust me!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN BAKED LEMON PARMESAN SALMON IN FOIL?
Very few ingredients make for very happy dinner guests! (And one happy cook!)
- Salmon fillet (or smaller fillets)
- Asparagus spears
- Salt and pepper
- Minced garlic
- Italian seasoning
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh herbs for topping (optional)
HOW DO YOU MAKE BAKED LEMON PARMESAN SALMON IN FOIL?
Since I never see my brother, and I wanted to spend as much time as possible with both him and my sister over this very low-key dinner, I whipped this all up in one sheet pan. Easier on all of us and more time for us to chat and catch up!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then line a large baking sheet with foil and lightly grease it with cooking spray.
Next, place the large salmon fillet in the center (or the smaller ones in the center) and arrange the asparagus on both sides of the salmon using up both sides of the pan. Add lemon slices under the edges of the salmon and then salt the fish and the asparagus with salt and pepper.
To melt the butter and add the seasonings, get out a sauce pan and put the butter in over medium high heat. When it’s melted add the garlic and Italian seasonings and give it a good mix. Pour the butter and seasonings over the salmon and the asparagus. Then sprinkle the parmesan over both as well.
Put in the oven to bake for 10 minutes, then turn on the broiler and cook it the rest of the way for another 5-7 minutes. Take it out and serve, adding fresh herbs as a garnish if you want to be fancy like that.
WAYS TO CUSTOMIZE BAKED SALMON
If you want to change this baked salmon recipe up a little, you can try the following ideas:
- Add a cup and a half of panko breadcrumbs to the parmesan cheese and mix together before sprinkling over and baking to give a nice crunchy coat to the salmon and asparagus.
- You can half the butter if you’d like to save on calories and fat. It will still cook just fine in its own salmon fat, but won’t be as buttery tasting.
- To the Italian seasoning, add a little spice with some red pepper flakes or smoked paprika.
- Swap the asparagus for smaller cuts of broccoli or cauliflower, zucchini or yellow squash disks, bell peppers and onions, or any veggie you like.
- Swap out the Italian seasonings for some Cajun ones!
WHAT TEMPERATURE SHOULD SALMON BE COOKED TO?
For ideal doneness, cook salmon to 145 degrees. If you’re using a meat thermometer you should check the temperature at the thickest part of the salmon, if that’s done, then it’s all done. However, you can also check by doing a “flake” test: Pull at the salmon with a fork, if it flakes easily, then your salmon is done.
IDEAS FOR SERVING BAKED SALMON
I usually serve this Italian Baked Salmon with a side of rice or noodles.
I also like to serve it with a tossed salad too (not everyone likes asparagus or vice-versa and top the salad off with a nice balsamic vinaigrette.
This also works well with a fresh baguette cut into thick slices or homemade rolls.
If you’re feeding a bigger crowd, try serving a hearty pasta dish on the side as well. Ones that I think complement the salmon include Greek Tortellini, Spaghetti Pasta Salad, or Creamy Avocado Pasta.
What people are saying about this Baked Lemon Parmesan Salmon & Asparagus in Foil
“This is so delicious! I have made it several times and have found that it is still wonderful no matter what green veggie you pair it with. Thank you for sharing this recipe!” – Lisa
“This is fantastic! It was so easy and it’s scrumptious! One of those recipes I’ll be making weekly! ” – Gail
“Made this tonight and it was a hit! All 3 of my kids chowed and we are fighting over leftovers! We will be making this again (just without so much butter).” – Rose
Baked Lemon Parmesan Salmon & Asparagus in Foil
- 1 large salmon fillet - (or 4-6 single portion fillets)
- 1 pound asparagus spears - ends trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup butter
- juice of 1 medium lemon - plus additional lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- optional: fresh herbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Arrange salmon in the center of the pan and arrange asparagus around the sides of the pan. Arrange lemon slices under the edges of the salmon. Season salmon and asparagus with salt and pepper.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Once melted stir in garlic, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Pour mixture over salmon and asparagus. Sprinkle parmesan over salmon and asparagus.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then change oven to broil and cook another 5-7 minutes. Top with fresh herbs if desired and serve.
Love , love , loved it ! So did my family ! I will definitely be making this again !