Beijing Beef – Tender crispy beef tossed with bell peppers and onions in a sweet and tangy sauce! On the table in 30 minutes!
Can I just tell you how stressed I am today? I had three exams to take this week, my brother was moving and had to be out of his place by saturday with less than a week of notice – which means a lot of box-lifting and furniture disassembling for the fam – and I am maybe just a tiny little bit freaking out about being out of town for two whole weeks. Mostly because of my kitchen. How will I ever live without my kitchen?!?!
Oh and p.s. it’s day light savings. I did not know that until….. this morning. Yayyyyy. (not yay)
Right now I just don’t have time to spend slaving away in the kitchen for hours just to get some food in our bellies. Which means 30 minutes meals = happening in my house. Ever single day. I need something delicious, simple, and fasssttttt. Which is why I am so glad I made this Beijing Beef this week! Seriously so easy, just let it marinate for a few in the fridge, and then whip it up in 30 minutes or less. With fresh bell peppers, onions, and a sweet and spicy sauce… ahhhhhhh! I love take out fake out. Why leave the house when you can make hot and saucy Asian-inspired dishes at home. Plus it’s gotta be healthier right? It’s just gotta be.
- 1 lb beef/flank steak, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup corn starch
- ½ each red and green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¼ teaspoon salt + ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- corn starch slurry: 1 tablespoon cold water + 2 tablespoons corn starch
- In a bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients. Add beef and marinade to a large zip lock bag, seal and chill at least 30 minutes (or overnight). Remove beef from zip lock bag and discard marinade. Place 2 whisked eggs in one bowl, and ½ cup corn starch in a second bowl. Dip the beef strips into the whisked eggs, then into the corn starch, tossing to coat well.
- Heat a large pan or non stick skillet with about 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Discard marinade. Place ½ cup corn starch in a bowl and toss beef strips in the corn starch to coat. Add coated beef strips to preheated pan. Cook beef 5 minutes, stirring throughout. Add bell peppers and onions and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until beef is cooked through and crispy.
- In a large sauce pan combine all sauce ingredients except for cornstarch slurry. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil. Whisk together corn starch and water and add to boiling sauce. Stir until thickened (1-2 mins). Reduce heat. When beef is cooked through, add sauce to beef pan. Stir to coat begins and beef. Serve with rice or noodles if desired.