Beijing Beef – Tender crispy beef tossed with bell peppers and onions in a sweet and tangy sauce! On the table in 30 minutes!
Can I just tell you how stressed I am today? I had three exams to take this week, my brother was moving and had to be out of his place by saturday with less than a week of notice – which means a lot of box-lifting and furniture disassembling for the fam – and I am maybe just a tiny little bit freaking out about being out of town for two whole weeks. Mostly because of my kitchen. How will I ever live without my kitchen?!?!
Oh and p.s. it’s day light savings. I did not know that until….. this morning. Yayyyyy. (not yay)
Right now I just don’t have time to spend slaving away in the kitchen for hours just to get some food in our bellies. Which means 30 minutes meals = happening in my house. Ever single day. I need something delicious, simple, and fasssttttt. Which is why I am so glad I made this Beijing Beef this week! Seriously so easy, just let it marinate for a few in the fridge, and then whip it up in 30 minutes or less. With fresh bell peppers, onions, and a sweet and spicy sauce… ahhhhhhh! I love take out fake out. Why leave the house when you can make hot and saucy Asian-inspired dishes at home. Plus it’s gotta be healthier right? It’s just gotta be.
What people are saying about this Beijing Beef
“I made this two days ago and it was a total success! Very easy to make and delicious! Thanks” – Benedetta
“First time I made this (three days ago), I followed the directions to a T and it was insane. We had leftovers and I ate them for lunch the next day, and my boyfriend was so upset! So he asked me to make it again, so I did (the very next night-two days ago) but with a couple changes (honestly nothing big), the first night I cut the steak into too big of chunks, second night I fixed that error. But the changes I made to the recipe itself (instead of my technique) sealed it as a keeper.” – Amber
- 1 pound beef/flank steak, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients. Add beef and marinade to a large zip lock bag, seal and chill at least 30 minutes (or overnight). Remove beef from zip lock bag and discard marinade. Place 2 whisked eggs in one bowl, and 1/2 cup corn starch in a second bowl. Dip the beef strips into the whisked eggs, then into the corn starch, tossing to coat well.
- Heat a large pan or non stick skillet with about 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Discard marinade. Place 1/2 cup corn starch in a bowl and toss beef strips in the corn starch to coat. Add coated beef strips to preheated pan. Cook beef 5 minutes, stirring throughout. Add bell peppers and onions and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until beef is cooked through and crispy.
- In a large sauce pan combine all sauce ingredients except for cornstarch slurry. Heat over medium heat and bring to a boil. Whisk together corn starch and water and add to boiling sauce. Stir until thickened (1-2 mins). Reduce heat. When beef is cooked through, add sauce to beef pan. Stir to coat begins and beef. Serve with rice or noodles if desired.