The BEST all-American hot dogs with avocado, grilled onions, and a sweet and spicy bbq sauce!
Oh, just a heads up, for this particular post, compensation was provided by Hebrew National via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are 100% my own and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hebrew National. Alright, on to the good stuff!
Hot dogs are a summertime staple around here. It seems like every week we’re throwing burgers and dogs on the grill. I really couldn’t be happier about it because hot dogs are easy (I have my lazy moments), quick (let’s be honest, my stomach isn’t very patient), and soooo megalicious yummy. One of the best parts about summertime is that it’s so casual, and casual is right up my alley. I love the winter holidays, don’t get me wrong, but those parties usually feel fancier – as in, I have to get out of my comfy sweats, cable socks, and slippers. But summertime entertaining is so laid back, and that’s the way I like it. I think my family might look at me funny if I suggested we have hot dogs for our Christmas dinner, but for the Fourth of July? That’s exactly what everybody wants. A good hot dog with all the fixins’.
One of my go-to summer entertaining items are plastic serving baskets (like the red one peeking out in the picture above). They are perfect for sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, sloppy joes, french fries, chips, and about a million other things. I found mine at the ol’ Target, but I’ve seen them at lots of other stores or even online (Thank you Amazon). Yes I’m an online shopper, it’s way too convenient.
I also love serving our drinks out of fun dispensers. I think my husband might have a fit if I bring one more home, I mayyy have gotten a little carried away recently when I bought our 4th one. But they’re all different and soo uber cute! You understand.
In addition to my serving basket and drink dispenser fetish I also look for super soft hot dog buns, usually from the bakery, and stock up on tons of toppings like bacon, pickles, onions, and of course the A-list condiments like Hunt’s ketchup and Gulden’s mustard – particularly the spicy brown mustard, I like my sauces with a little kick. Oh alright, I like everything with a little kick. And none of that mystery-meat stuff, I like my dogs made with 100% beef, like the kosher ones from Hebrew National. I don’t know about you but if I’m gonna eat meat, I want ALL meat, no fillers. Otherwise I’ll get myself a tofu dog.
Now let’s cut the chit chat and get on to some seriously good hot dog eating shall we? These ones are topped with the most amazing bbq sauce – a little sweet, a little heat. Then load up the franks with avocados, grilled onions, pickles, and anything else that suits your fancy.
Ah! Do you see that? The perfect bite…
Sweet Heat BBQ Hot Dogs
- 8 beef franks
- 2 avocados - sliced
- 1 white onion - thinly sliced into rings
- !optional: slaw or shredded lettuce, pickles
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat on the stove, then reduce to medium-low and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a container you can cover and put in the fridge. Chill until ready to use.
- Grill beef franks over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, turning throughout to allow for even cooking on all sides. Also, place sliced onion rings on the grill and allow to cook until the hot dogs are done.
- Assemble hot dogs by placing slaw or lettuce (if desired) on the bottom of the bun. Next, add the hot dog, avocado slices, grilled onions, and pickles (if desired). Drizzle hot dogs with bbq sauce. Serve immediately, enjoy!