These healthy teriyaki black bean burgers are absolutely bursting with flavor! They will steal the hearts of both vegetarians AND the meat-lovers!
Guess what movie we’re watching as I type this?
Okay you’ll never guess. We’re watching…. The Mighty Ducks. Ha! 80’s are makin’ a comeback at our house tonight and to be honest I’m totally loving it. And wooooah, Charlie Sheen you’re a youngin! This flashback is making me want to play some Madonna and bust out the neon in my closet. Oh yes. I still own neon. It’s back in style, haven’t you noticed?? I don’t wear shoulder pads or rat my bangs a mile high but neon I still do. Proud of it.
Speaking of fashion and comebacks, have you noticed overalls have been sneaking into a few stores lately? Oh the nineties. You were so good to me. I’m secretly sort of excited about the overalls. At the moment they are taking an interesting twist with the whole 7-inches long so they barely cover your underwear thing but, I’m hoping they lengthen out a bit and bring out some classic denim. Not gonna lie, I really love me a pair of overalls.
My mother is rolling her eyes right now. I can feel it. My husband is too. But that I can actually see since he’s about 27 inches away from me at the moment. Stop it. I have a right to like overalls. It’s the people who still use boom boxes you should be worried about. That’s an era I don’t really miss. I like my Pandora. And my Syri who turns on Pandora for me. Okay now I sound lazy. I’m not! I just appreciate technology. 😉
Something that is completely new? Black bean burgers. Or rather, they’re new to me. I was strictly a red-meat-burger gal up until about a year ago when I was talked into doing turkey burgers and veggie burgers. Both of which = YUM. But only recently did I finally venture out and try the black bean burger. Ahhhh it’s so good! But really, how can you go wrong with anything topped with pineapple and covered in teriyaki sauce?? You can’t. You really can’t. If you haven’t tried a black bean burger, stop thinking that you’ll hate it because you won’t, and start thinking about how soon you can put these black bean teriyaki burgers on your to-make-and-consume-immediately list. You neeeeed these. Promise.
If you like these Teriyaki Black Bean Burgers, you’ll also love my Chipotle BBQ Burgers!
Black Bean Teriyaki Burgers
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed - divided
- ½ red onion - diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons parsley - roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro - roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt - (OR salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 burger buns
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- sliced pineapple
- optional: sliced red onions, sesame seeds
- In a bowl combine 1/2 of the black beans, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and diced red onion and mix until combined. Add ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse several times until a puree forms (does not need to be perfectly smooth)
- Transfer mixture back to the bowl and add remaining black beans, egg, red pepper flakes, and seasoning salt. Mix to combine. If mixture is too runny, add a few tablespoons of bread crumbs until mixture sticks together.
- Form 4 patties with the black bean mixture. Grease your grill. Grill black bean patties over medium heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Place patties on burger buns. Top with pineapple, teriyaki sauce and (optional) sliced red onions and sesame seeds.