Easy and delicious overnight Blueberry Doughnut French Toast Casserole is the perfect holiday breakfast for French toast and doughnut lovers!
This post is in partnership with Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, all opinions are my own.
My doughnut obsession is REAL. When our twins were just teeny tiny babies, we started a weekend we call Doughnut Morning. Every Saturday we pile in the car, sun, rain, or freak snow storm, and take a drive to get doughnuts for breakfast.
We’ve done the grocery store, the specialized corner bakery, the gas station even (often when we’re out of town), but Krispy Kreme is our favorite. It’s a little further out of the way but worth the drive every single time when I’m blissfully devouring my share of a fresh dozen back home in my Saturday morning comfy socks.
Blueberry doughnuts are my jam. Easily one of my top three favorite doughnuts, and Krispy Kreme makes a really killer Glazed Blueberry Cake Doughnut.
Today I’m really excited to be sharing how I use Krispy Kreme Glazed Blueberry Cake Doughnuts as a hack in one of my favorite holiday breakfast recipes, overnight French toast casserole! What? French toast casserole meets blueberry doughnut?? YES! Pure breakfast magic.
So how do you make this sweet concoction? It’s sooo easy! The night before, chop up some Krispy Kreme Glazed Blueberry Cake Doughnut and layer them in a greased baking dish. Whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and a bit of sugar and pour it over the doughnuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, uncover the baking dish and pop it in the over for about 40 minutes until cooked through. While it’s cooling a little bit, whip up the glaze by combining cream cheese, butter, vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Drizzle that rich ‘n creamy goodness over the casserole and get ready to be amazed.
Donut meets French toast in this fun and tasty #holidayhack recipe!
Blueberry Doughnut French Toast Casserole
- 10 Krispy Kremes Glazed Blueberry Cake Doughnuts
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablepoons sugar
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 3 tablespoons butter - softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons milk - as needed
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Cut doughnuts into 1-inch pieces and layer evenly in a greased 9x13 inch baking pan. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Pour over the doughnuts (being sure to pour over all of the donut pieces, not just right in the middle). Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight in the fridge.
- Uncover baking dish. Add blueberries to top and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then cover loosely with a sheet of foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes longer until donuts are baked through.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and 4 tablespoons milk. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until completely incorporated. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk if needed to make glaze pourable. Pour over slightly cooled casserole and serve.