Browned Butter Alfredo Sauce is super creamy and cheesy, combined with browned butter for extra richness and flavor, you will never make alfredo the same again!
I’m generally not much of a red sauce person. I’ll take it on pizza. I really can’t pass up a classic pepperoni or fully-loaded combination pizza. But if I’m feeling pasta, I’m wanting white sauce. Creamy. Cheesy. Silky-smooth white sauce.
The only thing better than perfect alfredo sauce, is perfect alfredo sauce made with browned butter. Browned butter has been all the rage across the web the last few years and while I’m not usually one for bandwagon jumping, this is a wagon I have to be on because browned butter is where. it. is. at.
If you haven’t cooked or baked with browned butter you may be thinking meh, I bet it doesn’t taste any different than regular butter. But that, my friend, is where you are wrong. Browned butter is richer than regular melted butter and enhances the other flavors of your dish. Basically it takes your dish from really good to woah. gimme MORE!!!
It’s not just me that is crazy about this sauce, my husband fell in love with it too. In fact, before I’d even told him what it was he took a few bites and then captured the whole essence of the sauce in one genius statement. He said “it’s like alfredo sauce, but with extra deliciousness!”
Browned Butter Alfredo Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk or heavy cream (I used fat free half & half)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces pasta noodles for serving
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Continue to stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until butter reaches golden brown color (once brown move on to the next step right away so it doesn't burn).
- Sprinkle flour over melted butter. Stir until mixture clumps together. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil (stirring constantly) and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted and combined with the sauce.
- Serve sauce over your favorite noodles. (fettuccine noodles are pictured) Store chilled in airtight container up to 1 week.