Creamy chocolate ice cream stuffed with chunks of edible (egg-less) cookie dough! Dangerously easy and insanely yummy!
Cookie dough! Let’s talk about the day I found out my husband doesn’t like cookie dough. Yeahhhh, crazy. There I was making chocolate cookies like the stellar newlywed bride I was trying so hard to be and I offered him a beater. You know, all caked in cookie dough with lots of chocolate chips. I didn’t even bother to knock off the extra batter. (read: awessssome wife) One for me one for him. Totally selfless. Or half way selfless anyway. This isn’t a socialist marriage, I couldn’t give up both beaters.
So I hand him this beater and he looks at it like it’s a scorpion. Um, okay… apparently my husband doesn’t like cookie dough. How is that even possible???
Oh wait, he doesn’t like cookie dough? Well, more for me!
***world un-shatters and happy dance commences***
So now I lick both of the beaters. It’s a sad day when you realize your husband has strange taste buds that don’t appreciate the joy of cookie dough, but I can’t complain about 2-beater licking for the rest of my life.
But I still try to take into account his likes and dislikes so when I made this chocolate cookie dough ice cream I left the cookie dough out of half of it. I know, awesome wife award. And the whole point of this ice cream anyway is to get the best of both worlds. He is convinced that dessert must be chocolate and when it comes to ice cream, he never orders anything but that and mint chocolate chip. But I love caramel cashew. And butter pecan. And salted caramel pretzel (heaven in my mouth). And cookie dough. I really love chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
Oh and I should add that I’m impatient when waiting for cookie dough ice cream to freeze. As in, I don’t wait at all and take it out of the freezer half way through so that I can photograph it and get to the eating part. So that sort of explains why the ice cream looks so melty in these pictures. If you have even a shred of patience (which is about 10 times what I have) then you might be able to let the ice cream actually harden all of the way so you can enjoy it in all of it’s frozen glory.
Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet)
- In a large bowl combine heavy beam, half and half, condensed milk, and sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved (2-3 minutes). Add cocoa powder and vanilla and mix another minute or two until cocoa powder is mixed in.
- Freeze mixture according to ice cream machine's instructions.
- While ice cream is freezing, prepare the cookie dough. Cream together butter and sugars until fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, and flour and mix until dough starts to form (it will be very crumbly). Add milk and mix (now it will look like cookie dough). Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer ice cream to 1 or 2 shallow containers. Add a large scoop of ice cream, then a couple tablespoons of cookie dough, then more ice cream, then more cookie dough. Continue until all ice cream is in the shallow containers. Freeze 4 hours (or until ready to serve). Allow to thaw for a few minutes before serving.