Family-favorite creamy lemon thyme chicken is full of flavor, easy to prepare, and will be on the table in just 30 minutes – a dish you’ll put on repeat all season long!
My summers seem to take on a foodie theme. Three years ago it was The Year of the Strawberry. Everything was strawberry. Muffins, cheesecake, smoothies, piles and piles of fresh, juicy strawberries. Two year ago was The Year of the Heirloom Tomato. I ate them by the bushel-full. All summer long popping them like candy. Gimme gimme gimme.
Last year I was very pregnant all summer long and it was definitely The Year of The Lime, including but not limited to eating my way though boxes and boxes of sour lime popsicles. To be fair, I always obsess over lime so it’s safe to say that a double pregnancy just intensified that pre-existing obsession. This summer has turned out to be a little bit mixed but I feel comfortable naming it The Year of Lemon + Herb. Looking back, I think at least forty percent of our weeknight meals featured lemon and herbs so I’m going with it.
This dish is the epitome of that lemon and herb obsession. I think it’s the winner when it comes to super flavorful, simple and no-fuss 30 minute one-pan meals. And that sauce. THAT SAUCE. Forget the chicken just gimme a spoon cause I can’t. get. enough. You (and anyone else you choose to share this dish with) will be craving it on the weekly my friend so put it on your go-to list of meals you can fall back on.
Creamy Lemon Thyme Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- juice of 1 medium lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Whisk together Italian seasoning, chopped thyme, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Season chicken with half of the mixture. Cook chicken in a greased pan or skillet over medium heat 5-7 minutes on each side until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add garlic and mushrooms to pan and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes until fragrant and mushrooms are tender. Stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, and remaining seasoning mixture. Stir in cream until mixture begins to boil, cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return chicken to pan and toss in the sauce to coat. Garnish with lemon slices, fresh thyme, and cracked black pepper as desired. Serve hot.