Mandarin pomegranate chopped kale salad topped with feta cheese, crunchy pecans, and lemony poppyseed dressing is easy, healthy, and incredibly delicious.
Recipe in partnership with Dole Packaged Foods
This is everything I want in a winter salad. Dark greens, bright flavors, fresh pomegranate and juicy mandarin oranges… there’s just not one single thing I don’t love about this!
Salads are a big staple in the dinner menu at our house. If they aren’t the main dish, they’re the side dish. They’re easy to make with just a few minutes and simple ingredients, and I don’t have to put a ton of thought into them nor a lot of prep time. I keep things like crumbled feta cheese, nuts, and some kind of greens in my kitchen at all times and with Dole my favorite fruits are in season year round, so all that’s left is to whip up the dressing.
This chopped kale salad with juicy Dole Mandarin Oranges and tart pomegranate jewels just might be the best winter-ish salad to ever grace my table. My mother taught me to put mandarin oranges in salads and she was really onto something spectacular. Recently I paired mandarins with pomegranates and I’ve been hooked ever since!
The dressing is a simple lemony twist on my go-to creamy poppyseed dressing. It’s a cinch to whip up in about 3 minutes, has the perfect texture and taste, and goes perfectly on top of this mandarin pomegranate and chopped kale salad. It’s easy to customize this recipe to fit your taste so if you prefer goat cheese or blue cheese to feta, feel free to swap it out. If you favor walnuts or pistachios, throw those into the mix! I’m positive your whole family is going to love this salad!
- 1 can Dole Mandarin Oranges in light syrup, drained
- ½ cup pomegranate jewels/seeds
- 6-8 cups finely chopped kale
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ⅔ cup mayo (see notes)
- ½ cup Half & Half (I used fat free) or other milk (any percentage of milk will work- the higher the percentage, the creamier your dressing will be)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- juice of ½ medium lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Combine kale, mandarin oranges, pomegranate jewels, feta cheese, and pecans in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Add dressing to salad bowl and toss to combine and to coat well. Cover and chill for about 10 minutes for best flavor. (Can be served immediately as well).