Juicy and tender pulled chicken slow cooked in the most AMAZING spicy adobo sauce! Serve it with rice and veggies for an instant family favorite meal!
Soooo, my birthday may or may not be coming up pretty soon. Not like tomorrow or anything! But in a few weeks, I may be celebrating a birthday…across the country. My husband has to go back to Washington D.C. for three weeks in September and my birthday happens to be smack dab in the middle of his business trip. He asked me how he could make it up to me and I told him to buy me a ticket to D.C. He did just that. He’s a catch. 😉
I love D.C., been there 4 times in the past couple of years to stay with my husband while he’s been there for business trips. I love the sights of course, but what I look forward to most is the fooooood. Big surprise there right? There’s a restaurant chain out on the east coast called Cosi and I 100% love it. I could go on and on about all of my favorite things to order there but back in March we were in D.C. and ate at Cosi four or five times on that trip. They had a new item on the menu, an adobo chicken and roasted veggie rice bowl. Oh. my. word. It was so amazing.
After we got home I set out to recreate the dish. And here it is! This turned out so much better than I even hoped it would! The sauce is absolutely perfect, spicy and savory and addictively delicious. I roasted up some veggies in the oven, served it with rice, and topped everything with fresh avocado because that’s how it was served at Cosi. But this chicken is an incredible filling for tacos, burritos, or in a quesadilla too. I’m in love with this stuff – you will be too!
What people are saying about this Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken
“Thank you so much for this recipe! I loooove the adobo chicken at Cosi and was so happy to find that someone had replicated it. I was even happier when I made it and it came out almost exactly the same as the restaurant version. Plus we got leftovers! Delicious! Thank you again! About to make it for the second time.” – Julie
“This was SOOOO good! My very picky husband loved it. Will definitely make again (bonus – it’s super-easy too!).” – Briana
“I’ve made this twice now and it’s absolutely delicious and so easy! I serve it over rice with roasted zucchini and bell peppers, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese. So tasty!” – Sam
“This is so delicious and easy to make! definitely added it to my “favorite recipes” bookmarks folder. Thanks, Tiffany!!” – Becky
Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2-4 chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce (choose 2,3, or 4 based on how spicy you want it. these peppers are canned and can be found near the canned jalapeños at the grocery store)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to your crockpot/slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Minutes before serving, use two forks to shred chicken. Stir the chicken in the sauces inside the slow cooker. Cover and cook another 30 minutes. Serve with cooked rice, veggies, fresh cilantro and diced avocados if desired.