Creamy chicken taquitos with a spicy chipotle kick! An easy slow cooker main dish or appetizer the whole family will love.
Have you been using your slow cooker lately? I use mine all year round but I aways bust it out a few more times per week when the weather cools off. Lately I’ve been slightly obsessed with using it for sides as well as main dishes. In the case of these taquitos, it’s kind of killing two birds with one stone because in my book, taquitos make perfect appetizers or main dishes.
The flavors of these taquitos are amazing. Throwing cream cheese in the slow cooker along with the chicken keep it really moist and add creaminess to the whole thing. If you haven’t used chipotle peppers before, you’re gonna love them. They are spicy, so if you love spice, add a minced pepper or two. If not, just skip the whole peppers and go with the sauce from the can. Oh, and you can find chipotle peppers right by the canned jalapeños at the store. Buy them, use them, now. The flavor is simply yummalicious, especially in these taquitos!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce - see note*)
- ⅓ cup water
- 16 taco or fajita sized four tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded cheese (monterey or colby jack cheese, cheddar, or mozzarella, use your favorite)
- optional: cilantro, jalapeños, ranch or southwest ranch for dipping
- Grease the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken, cream cheese, garlic, adobo sauce, and water. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
- minutes before serving, shred chicken with two forks and mix all ingredients in the slow cooker so they are well combined. Preheat oven to 400 and grease a large baking sheet.
- Lay tortillas out on a flat surface. Divide shredded cheese between all of the tortillas. Add shredded chicken mixture to each tortilla (it's okay if there is still some saucy stuff left in the slow cooker, just discard it or pour it over tortillas immediately before serving).
- Roll up each tortilla tightly and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until tortillas are lightly browned around the ends and cheese is melty. Serve with ranch or other sauce for dipping if desired. Enjoy!
Check out these other fun appetizers from some of my favorite bloggers!
-Blackberry Jalapeno ChickenSandwiches ~ Cooking For Keeps
Slow Cooker Meatballs– Favorite Family Recipes
Creamy Spinach Dip– Super Healthy Kids
Slow cooker S’mores Brownies– Something Swanky
Chipotle Chiken Taquitos- Creme de la Crumb
California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Dip– Oh, Sweet Basil