Perfectly fluffy Apple Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes – this buttery cinnamon streusel topping makes the ultimate fall breakfast!
It’s APPLE SEASON! The grin on my face is stretching from ear to ear you guys, ear. to. ear.
I waited patiently – okay, not so patiently…. – for September 1st to share the first apple recipe of the season. I was thisclose to posting it last week. But now it is officially September and I’m not waiting another minute to celebrate this delectable time of year.
Fall is coming everyone, embrace it.
Have you ever seen a more beautiful disaster than this messy stack of pancakes?? That gloppy stuff oozing out between the layers and slathered all over the top is cinnamon streusel and it is finger-lickin’ good. I almost wish I could skip the fork altogether and just grab that stack of pancakes like a 6-decker sandwich and dig in, face first.
But oh the things my mother would say…
I have been in such a crazy pancake mood lately, I don’t know what’s gotten into me but I’ve made pancakes three times in the past week alone and I have very serious plans to make another batch tomorrow. Do you know what that means? It means a whole slew of pancake recipes are about to hit the blog. Seriously. A slew of them. I hope you don’t mind?
You could make these pancakes any time of year, and believe I will, but they just scream FALL. The golden-red apple chunks baked right into the batter, the sweet and savory buttery cinnamon streusel, the comforting goodness that is pancakes. Bring on the cozy cable knit socks and oversized sweaters, I am so ready for all things Autumn.
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (more as needed)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil (or melted butter, whatever you prefer)
- 1 medium red apple (I used gala - use your favorite!)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- Preheat a large pan, skillet, or griddle to medium-low heat.
- In a small-medium bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the streusel. Cut in butter with two forks or a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. (You can also use your fingers!) Set aside.
- Peel and dice apple, discarding core and seeds.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, egg, and oil (or melted butter) and mix until ingredients are incorporated enough that there are no more flour streaks but the batter is still a little lumpy. Stir in diced apple pieces.
- Lightly grease your pan/skillet/griddle. Drop 1-2 tablespoons of streusel mixture onto the pan. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour batter directly on top of the streusel. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes until edges begin to look "dry", then flip, top with another 1-2 tablespoons of streusel, and allow to cook another minute or so until puffy and golden. Continue process until all of the pancake batter has been used.
- Stack pancakes and top with any remaining cinnamon streusel. Serve warm with powdered sugar and maple syrup.