Savory lemon and herb seasoned chicken stuffed with tender asparagus and provolone and parmesan cheeses. This Asparagus Stuffed Chicken is incredibly easy to prepare, yet elegant and ready to wow anyone who tries it!
This is officially the year of lemon.
I’ve talked about this before – loooooong ago – but each year I tend to gravitate toward a couple of ingredients that I just can’t seem to get enough of. Last year I feel like I really discovered the magic of thyme, and fell in love with strawberries all over again. This year I am LOVING all things lemon.
Asparagus is a given already, I find myself grabbing a bundle of asparagus at the store almost every week without any specific plans for it. I just know at some point during the week I’m gonna want some asparagus, weather it’s grilled, baked, or sauteed, it’s a staple in my Summer diet.
Today those two ingredients, lemon and asparagus, and coming together in the best way possible.
I debated on a name for this dish but in the end decided against “Asparagus Stuffed Lemon Chicken” because it’s just not that lemon-y. It really just has a hint of lemon that works perfectly with all of the other ingredients and the way you achieve that is by placing fresh slices of lemon on top of the chicken breasts right before you pop them in the oven.
The juices from the cooking lemons seep out and flavor the outside of the chicken just enough to give the dish a fresh, tangy flavor without overpowering it. It’s kind of perfect.
Inside the chicken you’ll find ultra-melty provolone and parmesan cheeses (one of my favorite cheese combinations ever) hugging tender stalks of asparagus. This recipe for Asparagus Stuffed Chicken is s0 so easy and the perfect way to amp up your weeknight chicken game without spending extra time in the kitchen. You’re gonna love it!
What people are saying about this Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
“This was fantastic! I will DEFINITELY make this again my family loved it.” – Karen
“I have served this to my family last Easter Sunday and they have asked for more since I just cooked an ample amount to try the recipe out! Thank you. ” – Marikaii
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian blend seasoning may sub equal parts dried thyme, basil, oregano, and parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed one storebought "bundle" is about enough
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use a sharp knife to slice each chicken breasts horizontally to form a pocket - be sure not stop cutting about 1/2 inch from the ends and other side so that you aren't cutting all the way through the chicken breasts.
- Rub chicken with oil on both sides, then season with salt and pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and Italian seasoning/dried herbs and use fingertips to rub seasonings into the chicken.
- Open the pocket and place two slices of provolone cheese, then 3-4 asparagus stalks, and lastly sprinkle with 1/4th of the parmesan cheese before closing the pocket and using toothpicks to secure the pocket closed.
- Melt butter in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, stir in honey. Immediately add chicken to pan, cook for about 2 minutes until browned, then flip and cook another 2 minutes til browned on the other side. Top chicken with lemon slices.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through, cheese is melted, and asparagus is tender. (Time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken breasts you used) Spoon any extra sauce from the pan over chicken and remove toothpicks before serving.