This easy Chicken and Mushroom Gnocchi Skillet is a hearty, flavorful one-pan meal the whole family will devour and ask for seconds!
It’s the weekend! Let’s celebrate, crack open a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, and make something delicious. Last year I took a trip to Italy with my mother – my first time in Europe and I was so spoiled with a whole week in gorgeous Italy. It was a little bit of work, a whole lot of fun, and SO much delicious food my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Gosh I wish I could snap my fingers and be back there for a day.
The reality is that right now I’ve got a brand new baby and two almost three year olds, and I’m just not quite ready to pack us all up and head across the world so for now I’ll settle for bringing a taste of Italy into my own kitchen by whipping up Italian-inspired dishes whenever I have the chance. Using ingredients imported from Italy whenever possible makes all the difference in flavor.
When making this Chicken and Mushroom Gnocchi Skillet, I use imported extra virgin olive oil and potato Gnocchi imported from Italy. The label says it all, just because it looks Italian doesn’t mean it is Italian.
Don’t sabotage your dish before you even pick up a whisk, when you walk down the Italian aisle in your your grocery store be sure to check those labels for the words “Imported from Italy” or “Made in Italy” to ensure you’re getting the best possible experience in your cooking. This dish is a home run on so many levels! Buttery garlic mushrooms, tender Gnocchi imported from Italy and seasoned chicken, spinach and cream sauce, with fresh Parmigiano Reggiano PDO on top all on the table in just 30 minutes.
You can’t go wrong with this hearty, filling, and flavorful recipe. Try it out on your family, they are guaranteed to ask for a repeat!
Chicken and Mushroom Gnocchi Skillet
- 1 lb potato Gnocchi imported from Italy
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 1 large chicken breasts - diced
- salt and pepper - to taste
- ¼ teaspoon each dried basil, dried thyme, dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach - finely chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano PDO
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil, add gnocchi and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water, set aside.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, basil, thyme, and parsley. Bring 2 tablespoons oil to heat in a large skillet, add chicken and saute 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Add butter and remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan, along with mushrooms and garlic. Saute 1-2 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Add gnocchi, chicken, chicken broth, heavy cream, and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan. Stir until sauce starts boiling. Stir in spinach until tender and wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano over the top and serve.
Really good dish. Perfect for a weeknight change of pace.
So delish!!! What about adding sherry to it?
Adding cooking wine has not been tested but we’d love to hear your results if you try it!