The best easy Chicken and Rice Soup! Got 45 minutes? Perfect! Then you have all the time you need to make this deeply comforting soup! It’s light, yet hearty and filling and oh-so-flavorful! You’ll crave this chicken and rice soup all year long.
Zoup! Good, Really Good® Broth provided me with product for the purpose of this post, as well as compensation for myself. As always, all opinions expressed in this post are my own.
Who do you think was the first civilization to make soup? I’m guessing it’s one of those meals made to use up all the scraps, the bones, the parts we don’t want to eat; a way to get all of the nutrients out of the animal or vegetable; or a vehicle for leftovers, even in ancient times.
However it happened, I’m eternally grateful to the soup inventors. Especially as the cold weather has been breezing through starting in the late afternoon and through the evening, making me want to eat nothing but soup for nights on end.
While I enjoy a good chicken and noodle soup, there’s something about this chicken and rice version I am enjoying especially here lately. Warm, filling, delicious, nutritious — but don’t take my word for it, make this tonight and see for yourself!
Why This Recipe Works
I’m not sure you need reasons to love chicken and rice soup, but I’m giving them to you anyway!
Zoup! Good, Really Good® Broth — Kettle cooked in small batches using the freshest and finest ingredients, this broth really features the most complex, yet balanced flavor and homemade taste of any broth I’ve ever tried (and I’ve tried them all!). It’s also low in calories, paleo-friendly, and completely free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, hormones, gluten, GMOs, fat, trans fat, and saturated fat.
Pre-cooked chicken — Use leftover chicken from last night’s cookout or pick up a rotisserie chicken on your way home from work, shred, and add to this deliciously easy (mostly) homemade soup.
Veggies — I’m sorry but I just can’t have any kind of chicken soup without the addition of onion, carrots, celery, and lots and lots of fresh herbs. They’re tasty, pretty to look at, and they add lots of nice texture to boot.
Here’s How You Make it
- In a large skillet, melt two tablespoons of butter. Add the rice to the butter and stir for one minute.
- Next, stir in one cup of Zoup! Broth and the water, bring it to a boil, then cover, reduce to a simmer, and let the rice cook for 25 minutes.
3. While the rice cooks, prepare the veggies by first melting the rest of the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
4. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and saute for 3-4 minus, or until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
5. Stir the cooked rice into the stock pot along with the rest of the Zoup! Broth, the heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Bring all of this to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
6. Stir in the chicken and peas, taste. Add salt and pepper if desired.
7. Garnish the soup with fresh herbs and add more pepper if you like and serve.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Want an extra boost of flavor and richness? Stir in 4 ounces of softened cream cheese in step 4.
- Recycle those glass jars and cans whenever possible. The Zoup! Broth jars are perfectly recyclable (or you can upcycle them too into some pretty vases or herb starters).
- Always go for quality broth whenever you can. It makes ALL the difference! That’s why my go-to broth is Zoup! It was developed by a 20+ year soup industry veteran and the team behind Zoup! Eatery, so you know it’s good! Not sure where to find it? Zoup! is available for purchase at retailers across the country as well as online at ZoupBroth.com and Amazon.com.
- If you want to change up the flavors in this chicken and rice soup a bit, you could always try a different flavor of broth. The Zoup! Good, Really Good® Broth lineup includes new seafood broth and new spicy chicken bone broth, original and low sodium chicken broth, veggie broth, and chicken and beef bone broth, plus certified organic chicken and veggie broth.
- You could also add a hearty green like spinach or chopped kale during step 6 as well if you like the taste and nutrition of leafy greens.
More Top Rated Soup Recipes
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
- Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
Did you try this Chicken and Rice Soup recipe? YAY! Please rate the recipe below!
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 7-ounce box long grain and wild rice - (any favorite brand will do)
- 4 tablespoons butter - divided
- 2 32-ounce jars Zoup! Good,Really Good® Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 3 whole carrots - chopped
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1-2 teaspoons salt - to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups shredded - or cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas - or canned, drained
- fresh thyme, rosemary, or parsley - for garnish, optional
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add rice and stir for one minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of Zoup! Good, Really Good® Chicken Bone Broth and the water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 25 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the vegetables. In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and saute 3-4 minute until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Stir cooked rice into the stock pot along with remaining broth, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in chicken, and peas. Taste, add salt and pepper as needed.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and additional cracked black pepper if desired and serve.