This Easy Taco Casserole is a Mexican-inspired meal that is easy to make and so flavorful! Take your Taco Tuesday up a notch with this yummy taco casserole that everyone will love!
Easy casseroles like this are always a hit! Be sure to try Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole, Poppyseed Chicken Casserole, and Chicken and Rice Casserole next! And if it’s taco flavors you’re in the mood for, I’ve got you taken care of with these super easy Chicken Tacos, BBQ Brisket Tacos, Ground Beef Tacos, and Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos!
Why This Recipe Works
So Yummy: The first and most important reason you should make this Easy Taco Casserole is because it is so yummy and satisfying! The chicken, rice, beans, corn, and salsa all combined with the taco seasoning make this casserole perfectly seasoned and so delicious to eat! Along with the crunch of the Doritos and the gooey cheese, this casserole might just be perfect.
Super Versatile: This casserole can be changed depending on your own preferences. You can switch out the chicken for ground beef or even steak! This is your Taco Tuesday, so make it exactly how you want it. Plus, you can add all of your favorite toppings like fresh avocado, sour cream, cilantro and lime!
Easy to Make: All you have to do is cook everything together in a skillet and then transfer it to a baking dish with the Doritos and cheese! Let the oven do most of the work here. Once it is ready you will have a cheesy, crunchy and super flavorful Taco Casserole!
- Veggies: Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Green Bell Pepper and Corn make up the veggies that will be added to the casserole!
- Chicken: I used chicken breast here, and diced it up into bite sized pieces before cooking it with the taco seasoning and veggies. You can also use pre-cooked shredded chicken like a rotisserie chicken for ease!
- Taco Seasoning: I measured out 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning from the taco seasoning packets and it ended up being 1 1/2 packets. You can also make your own taco seasoning if you don’t have any on hand!
- Rice: Cook your rice prior to making the casserole and throw in the already cooked rice. You can use white or brown rice, whichever you prefer!
- Black Beans: I used canned black beans and rinsed them before mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Salsa: Use your favorite red salsa here. You can go super spicy or mild, depending on your preference.
- Chicken Broth: A little bit of chicken broth adds moisture to the mixture!
- Doritos: The Cool Ranch or Nacho Cheese Doritos are perfect here. They add flavor and also a nice crunch!
- Mexican Style Cheese: Sprinkle it all with Mexican style cheese and let it bubble up in the oven!
Here’s How to Make It
Step by Step Instructions
My Easy Taco Casserole with rice takes just a skillet and a baking dish to create! Here are the simple steps:
- Preheat & Start Sautéing: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat some oil in a large pan or non stick skillet over a medium high head. Add the onions and the peppers and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions have softened and are starting to color.
- Add Chicken & Seasoning: Toss the diced chicken with the taco seasoning and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté until cooked through. This should take another 6-8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the Other Ingredients: Next, stir in the rice, black beans, corn, salsa and chicken broth.
- Prepare for Baking: Layer half of the Doritos on the bottom of a large baking dish and spoon the casserole mix on top. Top with the remaining Doritos and sprinkle with the Mexican cheese.
- Bake & Enjoy: Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken and rice mixture is heated through, and the cheese has melted on the top of the Doritos and started to bubble and turn golden. Enjoy with all your favorite toppings!
- Don’t add extra salt! Unless you are making your own taco seasoning that is salt-free, don’t be tempted to add salt here. Packaged taco seasoning already contains enough salt and along with the Doritos and the cheese, this recipe will have the perfect balance of salt without adding any extra.
- Need more veg? You can add even more veggies here like broccoli and carrots and top it off with fresh tomatoes and olives!
- Use your favorite tortilla chips! You don’t have to use Doritos, although I like the flavor they add to this taco casserole. You can use Fritos or your favorite brand of tortilla chips instead!
Frequently Asked Questions
Taco seasoning is usually a mixture of salt, paprika, oregano, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. If you don’t have taco seasoning on hand, you can make your own mixture with those spices! If you like it spicy, add some cayenne pepper as well!
Store any leftover taco casserole with Doritos in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until heated through! Keep in mind, the Doritos will become softer with time.
Absolutely! You can follow all of the instructions as normal but once the casserole is assembled, don’t bake it. Let it cool to room temperature and cover well. Freeze for up to one month. When you are ready to cook it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and bake until heated through and bubbly!
More Easy Dinner Recipes to Try
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Enchiladas
- Fiesta Lime Chicken & Rice Foil Packs
- Easy Tamales
- Baked Salsa Verde Chicken
Did you try this recipe? FANTASTIC. Please rate the recipe below and be sure to tag me on social when you share a photo of your CDLC creation – I love seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
Easy Taco Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion - diced
- 1 red pepper - diced
- 1 green pepper - diced
- 2 large chicken breasts - diced
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ cup yellow corn
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 9.25 oz package of Cool Ranch or Nacho Cheese Doritos - lightly crushed
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican style cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or non stick skillet over a medium high heat. Add the onions and the peppers and cook for 6-8 minutes until the onions have softened and are starting to color.
- Toss the chicken with the taco seasoning and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté until cooked through. This should take another 6-8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the rice, black beans, corn, salsa and chicken broth.
- Layer half of the Doritos on the bottom of a large baking dish and spoon the casserole mix on top. Top with the remaining Doritos and sprinkle with Mexican style cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken and rice mixture has heated through, and the cheese has melted on top of the Doritos and started to bubble and turn golden.
- Do not be tempted to add any salt to this dish; there is enough salt in the taco seasoning and the Doritos to season the dish.
- 2 cups of already cooked and shredded chicken can be substituted for the chicken breasts; simply stir the taco seasoning into the cooked onions, cook for a further minute to toast the spices, and add the cooked chicken along with the rest of the ingredients once the pan has been removed from the heat.
- Because of the crispy chips on top this casserole does not reheat well, but the chicken and rice mixture can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in the fridge until needed.
Thank you for fixing this link. I so wanted to try this recipe.
You’re welcome. Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope you enjoy the recipe 🙂