Chewy, gooey, Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies made with oatmeal, vanilla, and real butter!
Let me tell you what this is. This is a whole lot of heaven happening in your mouth and it’s happening just in time for the holidays – a time for sharing things you love with the people you love most. And when you try one of these cookies, you’re gonna wanna share. It’s that kind of goodness you’d feel guilty keeping all to yourself.
At the very least you could share the recipe, right?
One of my favorite baking tricks – if you can even call it a trick – is to add old fashioned rolled oats to cookie dough, particularly chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies. I think it transforms the whole texture of the cookie from that’s a good cookie to oh my gosh I need eleven of these things with the addition of one simple ingredient.
It’s the chew factor you know? I just love me some chewiness in a cookie.
This is not a revolutionary cookie though. We’re not reinventing the wheel here. What we’re doing is taking a classic flavor combo – peanut butter and chocolate – and making one awesome, go-to for every family party, bake sale, and welcome the new neighbors event you may have in your life. Because we all have those times when we need a really good cookie recipe. One we know will yield a plate-ful of yumminess we will be proud to share and will please the masses.
Bottom line: it’s just a really really good peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chunk cookie.
And you know who especially loves a really good classic cookie like this?
So you might wanna think about leaving a plate of these by the chimney this Christmas Eve. If you’re a cookies-for-santa kinda person. Which I know you are.
Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chunks OR chopped dark baking chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and very lightly grease a large baking sheet (or multiple if you have them).
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, and peanut butter and mix well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Place balls of cookie dough (about the size of a golf ball) on baking sheet about 3-4 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Allow to rest for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.