This Farmers Market Veggie Pasta is so flavorful and packed with veggies! It’s the perfect, light summer pasta to enjoy your weekly Farmers Market haul.
Every summer, I go to the Farmers Market and get so excited by all of the delicious, local produce options. I inevitably end up buying way too much produce so I have to come up with creative and delicious ways to eat all it before it goes bad. This summer, I created the Farmers Market Veggie Pasta. Packed with all kinds of different veggies, this one is not only super healthy but also so satisfying!
Of course, you don’t necessarily have to use produce from the farmers market, just use whatever you have on hand!
Here’s How You Make Farmers Market Veggie Pasta
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pasta Noodles– I used a shell pasta when I made this, but you can use your favorite type of pasta!
- Zucchini– You’ll want one or two zucchinis cut into 1 inch size pieces.
- Yellow Squash– A pillar of summer farmers markets! You can use one or two depending on how big they are.
- Cherry Tomatoes– I used cherry tomatoes since they slide right onto the skewer, but you can use any good tomatoes.
- Corn– Grilled corn will add a crunchy and sweet flavor to the pasta. You won’t want to skip it!
- Butter– You can use your favorite butter to sauté everything together and create a bit of sauce.
- Garlic– Mice your own garlic or use the pre-minced garlic in a jar.
- Parmesan Cheese– Any type of parmesan cheese will do. This will be added to the sauce.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes– This is optional if you want a little bit of spice in your pasta.
- Basil &/or Arugula– The addition of fresh basil or arugula adds a fresh bite and some extra flavor.
- Gorgonzola or Feta Cheese– Topping the pasta with some crumbly cheese like gorgonzola or feta adds some salty, cheesy goodness!
- Pine Nuts– Toasting some pine nuts and topping the pasta with them adds a toasty, nutty flavor.
- Basil Pesto– This is optional to add some extra basil flavor to the sauce along with the butter.
- Salt and Pepper– Kosher salt and some freshly cracked pepper on top will bring out all the flavors.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook your noodles and reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Set aside the noodles and toss them in a little olive oil so that the noodles don’t stick together.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan for 3-5 minutes until slightly brown.
- Prepare your veggies by cutting them into pieces. Toss the tomatoes, zucchini and squash in olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, put them on a skewer and preheat the grill.
- Grill the vegetable skewers and the corn over medium heat until tender, for about 6-8 minutes. Cut the corn off of the cob and combine all of the vegetables together.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and garlic. Cook the garlic until fragrant and add the reserved pasta water along with the cooked noodles.
- Gradually stir in the parmesan cheese and pesto (if using) and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the grilled veggies, basil/arugula, and top with toasted pine nuts and cheese. Enjoy!
What Makes this Recipe Work
Fresh and Flavorful: You are going to get your daily dose of vegetables in just one meal with this veggie pasta. It is so fresh and healthy but also very flavorful. All the different components come together to make a savory, delicious pasta dish that won’t disappoint even the picky eaters.
Versatile: Farmers Market Veggie Pasta is super versatile and you can add or take out any of the veggies. Some vegetables you can add or use as a substitute are: asparagus, red onion, carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, or egg plant. Make this dish your own with any veggies that make you happy.
Simple to make: This recipe can come together into a beautiful dinner in about 30 minutes. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Can I Use The Oven to Cook My Veggies?
If you don’t have a grill or you prefer not to grill your veggies, you can bake them in the oven instead. I like the char and flavor that the grill gives my veggies, but it is understandable to want to use the oven instead. Roast your veggies at around 400 F until they are tender. For the corn, it can be boiled while still on the cob then combined with the rest of the veggies.
What to Try Next
If you are looking for some more veggie packed recipes, give these recipes a try!
- Balsamic Chicken and Veggie Kabobs
- Shrimp Sausage and Veggie Foil Packs
- Greek Chopped Salad
- Steak Fajita Foil Packs
- One Pot Chicken and Veggie Ramen
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
If you make this summertime pasta recipe, please come back and let me know what you think by leaving a comment and rating the recipe! And be sure to snap a photo and email it or tag me on social media, I love connecting with you and seeing your CDLC creations!
Farmers Market Veggie Pasta
- 12 ounces pasta noodles
- 1 medium zucchini - or 2 small, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash - or 2 small, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes - or heirloom tomatoes
- 2 ears of corn
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper - to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - optional
- handful of fresh basil and/or arugula
- ½ cup gorgonzola cheese - or feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto - optional
- Boil noodles according to package directions. (While pasta is boiling you can toast the pine nuts and chop your veggies). Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water and discard the rest of the water. Toss noodles with a little olive oil to keep them from getting stuck together. Set aside while you prepare the veggies.
- Toast the pine nuts by stirring in a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Toss together the zucchini, squash, and tomatoes with the olive oil and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Skewer the veggies and grill (along with the corn on the cob) over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side (veggies should be fork-tender and begging to char a bit). Cut the corn off the cob and combine all of the vegetables.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic til fragrant, about one minute. Add pasta noodles and reserved pasta water.
- Gradually stir in parmesan and pesto (if using). Season with salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the grilled veggies, then the basil and/or arugula. Top with cheese and toasted pine nuts and serve.