One Pot Spicy Cajun Chicken & Rice – Easy and flavorful spicy cajun chicken with peppers and rice all cooked in one pot in just 30 minutes!
I really wish these photos did this dish justice but they just don’t. You can’t capture all of the flavors and spicy goodness accurately in pictures and believe me, I really really tried. This is one of those times when you really need smell-a-vision.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 4-5 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided (store-bought OR see my easy homemade seasoning below!)
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 2¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole bell pepper (any color, OR ½ of two kinds - I used yellow and red)
- roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- heaping ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with about 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning. Drizzle a large pan or skillet (one that has a lid) with oil and cook chicken breasts for about 1 minute on each side over medium-high heat, just long enough to brown each side of the chicken. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add rice, peppers, chicken broth, and remaining 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (control the spiciness by adding more or less seasoning) and stir to combine.
- Place chicken on top of the rice, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.