Easy and flavorful One Pot Spicy Cajun Chicken & Rice with peppers and rice all cooked in one pot in just 30 minutes!
Loving one pot wonders for busy nights? You’ve gotta try One Pot Cashew Chicken Ramen, One Pot Enchilada Orzo, and One Pan Mediterranean Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
I really wish these photos did this dish justice but they just don’t. You can’t capture all of the flavors and spicy goodness accurately in pictures and believe me, I really really tried. This is one of those times when you really need smell-a-vision.
I absolutely love one pot meals because a) minimal clean up and b) minimal clean up. Can you tell I’m a fan of the minimal clean up? Between the ease of this dish and the loads of super duper yummy flavor, I can’t get enough of it. Since the husband has been out of town, I’ve been eating leftovers all week and I am not complaining about that! I’ll take spicy cajun chicken and rice leftovers any day!
What people are saying about this One Pot Spicy Cajun Chicken & Rice
“This meal was super easy to put together and stick in the over for a quick easy dinner. We added cilantro, squeeze of lime juice, cubed avocado on top and a dollop of sour cream on the side. Also a chopped jalapeno with the peppers for a yummy Cajun dish!” – Ashley
“This was amazing! I made the recipe exactly how it was but I did add diced onions to it. It was just spicy enough for our taste and we loved it! Will definitely be making this again soon. Thank you!” – Shauna
“This has become one of my go to recipes, so good and easy to make! Thank you for sharing!!” – Sara
One Pot Spicy Cajun Chicken & Rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 4-5 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided (store-bought OR see my easy homemade seasoning below!)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole bell pepper (any color, OR 1/2 of two kinds - I used yellow and red)
- roughly chopped cilantro
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with about 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning. Drizzle a large pan or skillet (one that has a lid) with oil and cook chicken breasts for about 1 minute on each side over medium-high heat, just long enough to brown each side of the chicken. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add rice, peppers, chicken broth, and remaining 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (control the spiciness by adding more or less seasoning) and stir to combine.
- Place chicken on top of the rice, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.