A copycat of the popular Red Robin Bonzai Burger with juicy ground beef, melty sharp cheddar cheese, teriyaki sauce, grilled pineapple, shredded lettuce and more!
Hey hey it’s the WEEKEND! Time for a mouthwatering burger recipe don’t ya think? Yes I think so. It’s the acceptable thing to do.
How about one with super melty sharp cheddar cheese? And grilled pineapple??
There’s something about this sharp cheddar + teriyaki + pineapple combo that is just ridiculously tasty. I am a huge fan of pineapple and teriyaki sauce (for more great recipes try my Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Wraps, Grilled Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets, and Big Kahuna Teriyaki Sandwiches…) but when you bring in a bit (or a lot) of melty ooey gooey sharp cheddar, it takes the whole thing to a new level of YUM. I’m tellin’ ya, Red Robin knew what they were doing when they put this burger together.
If you’ve tried the Bonzai Burger at Red Robin – now you can make it at home!! (HAPPY DANCE!) If you haven’t tried it, don’t worry – no need to go to the restaurant because once again, I’m bring it to you. Did I mention that the teriyaki sauce is both IN and ON the burger?? It’s AMAZING.
Also, I’m obviously overdosing on all-caps today.
Red Robin Bonzai Burger
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce - divided (my favorite store-bought is Kikkoman, or see recipe below!)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 pineapple rings
- 8 tomato slices
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 burger buns with sesame seeds
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- (If using store-bought teriyaki sauce, skip down to step two!) For the homemade teriyaki sauce whisk all ingredients together in a small sauce pan. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat and transfer to a heat-safe bowl to rest until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl combine ground beef, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce. Mix well, then form into 4 equal sized patties.
- Place pineapple slices and patties on a preheated grill rack. Grill patties over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until cooked through to desired doneness. When fully cooked, turn off the grill, transfer pineapples to a platter or serving tray, and place a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each burger patty (still on the grill). Cover the grill until cheese is melty (about 1-2 minutes).
- Assemble burgers by spreading mayo on the insides of the burger burns. Top bottom half of bun with burger patty, teriyaki sauce, pineapple slices, tomatoes, and shredded lettuce. Serve warm.
Burger recipe adapted from A Mom’s Take, teriyaki sauce adapted from Add a Pinch.
Hola Tiffany , me encantan tus recetas
Esta semana descubrí tu blog y estoy super enganchada. Seguí tus consejos de fotografia
y compré los objetivos para macro que nos aconsejas en tu artículo . Te agradezco que compartás tus consejos y espero mejor las fotos de mi humilde blog
Perdona que no escriba en inglés , soy española , espero la próxima receta
Un saludo , Macumani ( Recetas de Macumani )
Hey girl This sounds pretty good!
I’m vegan so wouldn’t eat this but I could definitely adapt it to one of the amazing vegan burgers I make. Looks amazing, and love your photos btw.
My family loved these burgers! The only thing I did differently was to marinade the pineapple slices in the sauce before I cooked them. Many thanks for a yummy recipe!
This looks absolutely phenomenal! Love your weekly plan as well!