Super moist lemon poppyseed muffins make with greek yogurt – topped with sweet and tangy cream cheese lemon icing!
Okay, it’s true, everyone and their dog has a lemon poppyseed muffin recipe – I’m not claiming to re-invent the wheel here. Lemon poppyseed muffins are a classic. But this recipe is my absolute favorite and as your personal source for yummalicious recipes, I am committed to sharing any recipe that makes me say “mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!”.
Which, obviously, this recipe does.
I also added a rich and tangy lemon cream cheese glaze because, well…. does that even need an explanation?? I mean, it’s FROSTING. Everything is better with frosting.
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or almond) extract
- zest of 2 small lemons (or 1 large lemon - about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup plain fat free greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 and grease a muffin pan. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice, and greek yogurt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in poppyseeds.
- Fill muffin tins about ⅔ full with muffin batter. Bake for 12-16 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing cream melted butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes until very fluffy. Add powdered sugar and lemon juice and mix well. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. Drizzle icing over cooled muffins. (If icing is too thick you can warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds ) Serve immediately or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days.