Tender hasselback-style oven roasted sweet potatoes, stuffed with bbq pulled pork and topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro!
For my birthday last Fall, my husband and I tried a new bbq restaurant in town.Ahhhh so good! I had bbq chicken with grilled corn and a sweet potato. Heaven in my mouth. I had a smallish plate, with a lot of food, so although I didn’t intentionally mix everything together (as some people do with their veggies, meat, and mashed potatoes – so weird) the bbq sauce from my chicken sort of made its way onto my sweet potato. I didn’t even notice it was there until I took a bit of the saucy sweet potato.
Hello new flavors, very nice to meet you, will you marry me please?? It was so good!
I love that flavor combination – the sweet potatoes with the tangy, zesty bbq sauce. Kind of like my obsession with sweet-salty things. Like pretzels dipped in chocolate. Pretzels are good, and chocolate is, well it’s chocolate so it’s just plain wonderful. But when you put the two together – it’s like magic. And that’s kind of like this sweet-potato-bbq-pork thing does. Combines two great flavors to make one stellar combo.
Ever since then I’ve been wanting to make bbq stuffed sweet potatoes. Why has it taken me 8 months to get around to it? I have no idea. But for heaven’s sake I am glad I finally did it. Magic.
My favorite way to make pulled pork is in the slow cooker with two kinds of bbq sauce. There’s no magic combination of sauces, I just pick any two that sound particularly good to me in the moment. For these stuffed sweet potatoes, I used a hickory bourbon bbq sauce, and a sweet n’ smokey sauce. Mmmmmmm. Perfect-o-mundo-!
Bbq season is practically here! Can you believe it?? I’ve already busted out the grill for two or three recipes and made Smokey Baked Beans – you can see I’m pretty stoked for the end of winter/start of summertime eats and treats. These BBQ Pulled Pork Stuffed Hasselback Sweet Potatoes are a new favorite in our house – your family is gonna love this dish!!
BBQ Pulled Pork Stuffed Hassleback Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound pork roast (shoulder or loin will work great)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I recommend using 1/2 cup of two different flavors - I used a hickory flavored bbq sauce as well as a sweet n' smokey version)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- Place pork in a slow cooker/crock pot and cover with the barbecue sauce. Cook slow 8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- One hour before serving prepare the potatoes. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Pierce potatoes 10-12 times all over the surface with a fork. Cut thin slices into the potato being sure to only slice 3/4 of the way through the potato (you want the bottom of the potato to stay intact - click [url:1]HERE[/url] for a good tutorial on how to slice the potatoes)
- Place potatoes on the baking sheet. Brush each with olive oil, being sure to coat the whole outer surface. Bake 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven, brush potatoes with melted butter, and return to oven. Bake another 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, use two forks to shred pork. Leave it in the slow cooker til ready to use.
- When the potatoes are cook through and very tender, remove from oven. Carefully stuff each of the slits in the potatoes with pork (I used a fork to stuff the pork in). Top with shredded cheese. Return to oven 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before topping with sour cream and cilantro.