Gooey cinnamon and buttery sugared apples topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon and oat topping and just a touch of sea salt makes the BEST easy apple crisp.
Apple crisp is one of the things I look forward to most about this time of year. Yes, it’s true, you can make and eat apple crisp any time whether or not you are wearing cozy sweaters and boots. Maybe I’m just a strange duck but I honest-to-goodness think some foods just taste better at different times or in different places, even if it is the exact same food. My mom’s homemade peanut brittle always tastes best at Christmas time, soup always hits the spot when it’s chilly outside, and apple crisp just tastes better in the Fall.
This is my very favorite, BEST ever, super EASY apple crisp recipe. You don’t have to add any liquid to the dish like some recipes will have you do, you just coat the apples in a sugary-cinnamon mixture and they will bake to tender caramelized perfection beneath a thick layer of crumbly cinnamon and brown sugar oat topping.
For the ultimate experience I highly recommend sprinkling just a little bit of coarse sea salt over the top and serving with vanilla ice cream. Spoon some of that extra sauce at the bottom of the pan over the top of ice cream and you will be in apple crisp heaven.
Best Easy Apple Crisp
- 5 medium apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- course sea salt (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 10-inch round baking dish or 9x9 inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Add apples and toss to coat. Transfer apples and any excess cinnamon-sugar mixture into prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, oats, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut butter into small cubes and mash into flour mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until apples are tender and topping is browned.
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the top (optional) and serve hot with vanilla ice cream.