Apple Oatmeal Cookies – soft, chewy apple and oatmeal cookies drizzled with apple cream cheese frosting!
Apple and oatmeal and cookies… this is probably the greatest thing to happen to my breakfast routine since French toast.
But then you add the frosting – that rich maple cream cheese frosting – and HEAVEN happens in your mouth.
I took these cookies (or… what was left of them after having them in my house for a whole 36 hours…ahem.) to my parent’s yesterday and every single one was devoured. I already have plans to make another batch this week because I NEED MORE!.
- 2 small or 1 large apple
- 1 cup flour + 2 tablespoons
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon maple extract (may sub almond or vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel the apple(s). Dice the remaining apple and discard the seeds and core. Toss the diced apple pieces with 2 tablespoons flour and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together remaining 1 cup flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars. Mix in maple syrup, egg, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in flour-coated apple pieces. Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- For the frosting, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar, maple extract, and milk and mix well. Drizzle over cookies.