This brown sugar walnut apple pie in a flaky, buttery crust, with two varieties of apples, brown sugar, spices, and toasted walnuts makes the perfect easy holiday pie.
THIS is the beginning of all things holiday season. I just decided that. Heaven knows every department store and grocery store have been pushing Christmas for weeks now, but I have literally averted my eyes when walking past the rows of tree trimming supplies and twinkle lights. I want to enjoy my Fall. Really really enjoy it. I’m feeling like it’s about half way over and I haven’t done a quarter of the things I wanted to this season but I’m recommitting to doing some of those things over the next couple of weeks.
I’m about to check one thing off the list: Make a BOMB apple pie.
If you are craving Fall like I am, I highly recommend using a combination of red and golden apples and leaving that skin on. If you absolutely can’t stand the thought of skin on your apples, okay…. peel em. But I promise you they get cooked enough that they will just melt in your mouth along with the apple flesh and please take a look at those colors. Does that not look like the edible version of an October drive up the canyon with every shade of red and golden leaf under the sun? It tastes as good as it looks I promise you. And how can it not when you’ve got juicy Autumn apples, brown sugar and spices, and toasted walnuts all heaped in a flaky, buttery pie crust??
Let’s embrace the rest of Fall. Starting with this perfect brown sugar walnut apple pie.
Brown Sugar Walnut Apple Pie
- 1 flaky pie crust
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4-5 medium apples - cored and very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press your piecrust into a 10-inch pie pan if it isn't already in one. Bake for 5-8 minutes, set aside.
- Place walnuts in a large skillet and stir over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes until nicely toasted (careful not to burn them though). Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss sliced apples with flour to coat. Whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Stir in walnuts.
- Layer half of the apples in the pie crust. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the apples. Top with remaining apples, then with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until apples are tender and very easily pierced with a fork. Serve warm as-is, or with vanilla ice cream.
This recipe is in partnership with Diamond of California Nuts.