Incredibly juice, savory Chicken Lombardy baked in a quick marsala sauce with tender mushrooms and melty mozzarella cheese!
This is one of those dishes. You know the ones. The kind that you make once and say, oh my gosh where has this been all my life and immediately vow to put it on your regular dinner rotation from now until the end of time. One of those dishes that is easy enough to fix any old chaotic Wednesday night but taste and looks fancy enough to impress guests on the weekend.
A winner winner chicken dinner.
This dish is pretty quick to make, 45 minutes tops, and involves three main steps. First you will cook those mushrooms in a pan on the stove in some melted butter along with some garlic because GARLIC=yummmmmmm. Next you toss the chicken in some flour to give it a very light, perfect breading and then cook that for just a minute or two on each side in the same pan you used to cook those butter garlic mushrooms. This gives the chicken a nice browned crust on the very outside – the rest of the cooking happens in phase three, the oven.
You just add the sauce to the pan and sprinkle lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese over your chicken and mushrooms, stick it in the oven covered in some foil for about 15-20 minutes and let that chicken really soak up the marsala sauce. Then for the last 5 or 10 minute you uncover the dish and let that cheese get reeeeeeallyy mellllllty.
That’s it! Dinner is served. The best mushroomy, garlic-y, marsala saucy, cheesy chicken you could ever ask for.
What people are saying about this Chicken Lombardy
“I made this the other night. Dinner consisted of us, faces hovering over our plates, shoveling in the amazing chicken in near total silence. Get. In. My. Mouth. Awesome, tasty and easy! Thanks for the share, it is definitely going on our Must-Make-Again list.” – Mara
“Made This for dinner — so good! Delicious and beautiful enough for special occasions; yet, easy enough you actually Do it! A keeper for sure. Thank You!” – Beth
“Delicious. We made for Valentine’s day and it was very yummy and easy to make. Thanks for a great recipe!” – Marc
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - pounded to even thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms - diced
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¾ cup marsala cooking wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste - (I used about ½ teaspoon each)
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 green onion - chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic. Saute mushrooms in melted butter 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant. Use a slotted spoon to transfer mushrooms to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- Toss chicken breasts in the flour to coat. Cook for 1-2 minute on each side in the same pan you used for the mushrooms (do not clean the pan in between). Transfer chicken to your prepared baking dish. Scatter mushrooms over the chicken.
- Add marsala wine and chicken broth to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5-10 minutes. Pour over chicken and mushrooms.
- Mix together cheese, sprinkle over chicken and mushrooms. Sprinkle green onions on top. Cover dish with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melty and serve.
Recipe adapted from here.