Salads are my jammmmm you guys. I seriously can’t live without salads. I go through withdrawals. And yes, that makes me sound like an addict but if the shoe fits….
Hi my name is Tiffany and I’m a salad-holic.
I wasn’t always a salad fan, but I blame that mostly on two things. The first would be hearing my father call salads “piles of weeds” my entire adolescent life. Honestly, and he still does it except he too has warmed up to salads and will now say “thanks honey for a great dinner, that pile of weeds didn’t taste too bad either.”
This right here, this mango and chipotle chicken thing we’ve got going on, this is a good salad. A stellar salad. It’s a variation on the basic salad I make on a regular basis at our house. Oh but something to note – I had a momentary brain thing and forgot to actually put the “dressing” on when I was taking these pictures. So just go with me on this and imagine that I have drizzled bbq sauce and/or green goddess dressing all over the top of this gorgeous salad. Okaygood, thanks!
- 2-3 medium/large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can of chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce), finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup crumbled queso fresco (you can also use crumbled feta)
- ½ cup bbq sauce (see note)
- handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- Slice chicken in half lengthwise. In a small bowl whisk together oil, chopped chipotle pepper, lime juice, salt, and garlic. Add sauce and chicken to a resealable bag, seal, and chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bag and discard the bag with remaining marinade. Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in the middle. Dice chicken and set aside.
- Assemble salad by topping lettuce with onions, peppers, mangoes, black beans, and cheese. Drizzle with bbq sauce and serve with lime wedges for serving. Top with cilantro and serve.