Easy Mini Grilled BBQ Chicken Tacos make the perfect summertime appetizer. Bursting with flavor from juicy, marinated chicken with crunchy slaw, fresh cilantro, and bbq sauce drizzle.
This post is in partnership with GrillMates, all opinions are 100 percent my own.
If you have already made your meal plans for the 4th of July, get ready to change them.
I made these Mini Grilled BBQ Chicken Tacos last week and I’ve been craving them ever since, they’re that good. I wanted them to be on the small size, perfect for an appetizer, and they came out just as I imagined.
The only thing I didn’t expect was for them to be so darn delicious I’d want to forego the main dish and just eat a whole meal of these little tacos instead!
These tacos are made with teeny little street taco size flour tortillas to make them just the right size for an appetizer. Stuff those tortillas with crunchy broccoli slaw, juicy chicken, cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, and a bbq sauce drizzle and you’re in heaven.
The ingredients for these tacos are simple, making the super flavorful, marinated chicken the real star of the show. To make them, you’ll marinate a couple of large chicken breasts in in Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon Marinade.
This stuff you guys…. HOLY COW talk about flavor. The perfect balance of sweet, tangy, and hint of heat and all it takes is 30 minutes in this marinade to make the magic happen.
This quick and easy marinade will upgrade your taco game. You know and trust McCormick – the maker of Grill Mates – to give you real flavor with their taco and enchilada seasoning mixes and this marinade is no exception.
To really elevate your grilled chicken game, you’ll want to pound out your chicken before grilling so it’s less than 1 inch thick all the way across. This is the key to getting a nice browned outside and super juicy and tender inside that isn’t dried out and flavorless.
Recently I taught this trick to my mother in law (notorious for serving overcooked chicken, bless her heart) and her mind was blown – bye bye dried out, flavorless chicken! Making sure your chicken is pounded thin and even all the way across makes all the difference!
With this little chicken grilling trick, some street taco tortillas, and a packet of Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon Marinade, this year’s Fourth of July bbq is going to be the best yet. Trust me on this! Your holiday needs these Mini Grilled BBQ Chicken tacos!
Mini Grilled BBQ Chicken Tacos
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet McCormick Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon Marinade
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 street taco size flour tortillas
- 1 cup broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce I like Stubbs, another member of the McCormick family
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese
- Combine marinade packet, oil, water, and vinegar and add to a large ziploc bag along with chicken. Seal bag and chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer chicken to a preheated grill. Cook for 5-8 minutes on each side over medium high heat until cooked through.
- Thinly slice chicken and place in the tortillas along with slaw, cilantro, a drizzle of bbq sauce, and sprinkle of cotija cheese. Serve immediately.