Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks are a staple family favorite. This crockpot version is healthy, made without cream of soup, and completely customizable with all of your favorite toppings!
I still remember the first time I ever had Hawaiian haystacks. When I was probably 10 years old, my parents dragged me along to a wedding reception. The wedding was for some family friends who are Polynesian. Most of the wedding receptions I’ve been to have just served desserts or appetizers, mine included, but I’ll tell ya, Polynesians sure know how to do it. They served Hawaiian haystacks for dinner to all of the guests with every possible topping you can imagine. Those haystacks were pork, so they were a little bit different than the recipe I’m sharing today, but the idea is still the same with chicken.
Feeding a family can be tricky. I like everything super melt-your-mouth-spicy, my husband likes everything heavy on the sauce, and if we ever had a kid he’d be one of those “no green things” children I’m sure of it. So customizable meals like this one are just the thing for busy families. For instance, a lot of people like to put olives on their haystacks. My husband and I hate olives so we ditch those and toss on some diced avocado instead. Pineapple is pretty standard but as for everything else, just go by what your preferences are and you can’t go wrong.
This time of year my crockpot and I are basically glued at the hip (if crockpots had hips….) I just love the no-fuss meals you can make and the variety of slow cooker comfort foods are endlessssssss. This is one of those comfort foods. Easy to make, fun to eat, pleasing to everybody, and bonus: it’s healthy! There’s no cream of soup anything in this recipe, just simple ingredients you’ve got in the pantry already. If you’re looking for a new go-to busy weeknight meal this is just the thing to bring something new and delicious to the dinner table.
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Haystacks
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk OR heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- cooked white rice
- Fill your slow cooker with 2 cups chicken broth. Add chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
- About 20 minutes before serving, shred the chicken with two forks and keep in slow cooker.
- Add flour to pan. In a medium sauce pan on the stove melt butter, stir in garlic until fragrant, then sprinkle in flour and stir. Slowly whisk in remaining 2 cups chicken broth and milk and stir until mixture clumps up. When mixture is thickened, stir in onion powder and salt.
- Add cream mixture to slow cooker and stir to coat chicken. Cook for another 15 minutes. Serve over rice with your favorite toppings.