Spicy Apricot Chicken – Savory breaded chicken baked in a sweet and spicy apricot sauce! 10 minute prep and SO delicious!
Yesterday was so looooooong. Painfully so. And I do mean painfully. I wrestled with a headache for most of the day and I had the brilliant idea to do a little stretching at the gym. Actually a lot of stretching. Please don’t try to picture me attempting the splits for the first time in years. Don’t! You did, didn’t you? I told you not to. It was not pretty. I haven’t quite decided if it’s time to let go of my younger, more flexible and agile self, or to try to get her back. I should probably let her go shouldn’t I? I mean, we’re adults here.
You’re right, I have to do it. Stretchy hamstrings, I’ll get you back.
When I recovered slightly from the stretching fiasco, I was so relieved to remember that I had an easy peasy dinner planned for the night. This Spicy Apricot Chicken comes together so quickly and with hardly any effort at all. Exactly what I need when my legs are jello-fied. The process is simple: heat up the sauce, dip the chicken in the egg, toss it in the breadcrumbs, put it in a baking dish and cover the whole thing with the sauce you already whipped up. Throw that baby in the oven and you’re done. Is that amazing or what? Oh and don’t let the SPICY deter you from making this chicken. It doesn’t have to be spicy. If you want you can add more or less red pepper flakes, according to your taste. Totally customizable.
Now if you’ll excuse me… I need to go ice my legs.
Spicy Apricot Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg - slightly beaten
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs - (plain or seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoosn salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups apricot preserves - or apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add apricot preserves, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and crushed red pepper flakes to a medium sauce pan and bring to a slight boil. Place beaten egg in one bowl. In another bowl whisk together bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg, tossing to coat, then in the bread crumb mixture, tossing to coat. Pour about 1 cup of sauce into prepared baking dish. Place chicken breasts side by side on top of sauce. Cover chicken with remaining sauce. Bake 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Serve warm.
Hey, this looks great! do you think it will freeze well?
Hi Yael- I haven’t tried freezing this one myself, but I don’t see why not!