Hearty potato and bacon corn chowder made right in the slow cooker!
So the thing about Utah weather… it’s unpredictable. And it changes every ten minutes. It’s almost impossible to dress for a day out and about because no matter what you wear, you’re never wearing what you going to wish you were wearing. If you wear shorts you’ll wish you’d opted for jeans and closed-toed shoes and if you bring a coat you’re not going to need it.
Two days ago we had snow flurries in the morning and yesterday we had about 11 minutes of hail but between those short bursts of cold precipitation it was sunny and breezy. Go figure.
Regardless, it has been getting chilly. Very chilly. Chilly enough that I’ve decided it’s time to break out the winter wardrobe. Because here in Utah we actually have those. Winter wardrobes and summer wardrobes. And I might be weird but I pack up all of my sweaters and boots mid-May and swap them with the shorts and tees that have been collecting dust in the garage for 6 months. Every year I look forward to the wardrobe swap.
Particularly because I usually forget what’s in those boxes and opening up my other wardrobe is like Christmas morning.
Oh heyyyyyy that sweater is so cute!
Totally forgot I had it.
Along with the wardrobe swap comes a swap in our diet. Instead of grilling, we’re slow cooking everything under the sun and that includes soups. This tasty slow cooker potato bacon corn chowder is so so easy and perfect for cold weather. BUT. Even if it’s not cold yet in your neck of the woods – or if you’re so lucky to live in a place where it’s sunny and 75 all year round – you’ve gotta make this soup anyway, you’ll love it regardless of what the temperature outside!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 15-ounce cans yellow corn, drained
- 3 cups heavy cream (see note)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon each)
- 4-6 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- Add onions, red pepper, corn, milk, chicken broth, potatoes, flour, and Italian seasoning to slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on high 4 hours or low 6-8 hours. Potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste and bacon. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and serve.