Super creamy and cheesy garlic and spinach orzo pasta! For the cheese and pasta lovers!
Hello Hello!!! Care to join me for some pasta??
Good! It’s pasta time.
I love adding garlic to dishes, and when they already would have garlic… I like to add more. Garlic is a beautiful thing and it brings this cheesy parmesan spinach orzo dish to life.
As if pasta and cheese ever needed any help right?!
Mmmmmmm look how creamy it is! Main dish? Side dish? Yes, and yes! If you a cheese lover (you and I are friends for a reason) then be sure to save yourself a handful of shredded parmesan to sprinkle right on top of your orzo so it gets all melty and amazing…
- 1½ cups orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2½ teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup milk (I used fat free half & half)
- ⅔ cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (plus extra for topping)
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant
- Add flour to form and stir for one minute. Add about ¼ cup of the milk to the pot and whisk to work out any lumps. When lumps are gone, add the remaining milk and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Add chopped spinach to sauce. Cook an additional 2 minutes or so until spinach is soft and dark. Remove sauce from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. When cheese has melted, add orzo and stir to combine. Serve with extra parmesan cheese and serve immediately. Enjoy!