Juicy and savory seasoned Garlic Steak and Potato Foil Packs are simply the most perfect baked or grilled hearty, healthy meal, and done in just 30 minutes!
If foil packs are on your mind, you’ll have to try these other delicious foil packs like Steak Fajita Foil Packs, Herb Butter Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packs, and Lemon Herb Shrimp and Broccoli Foil Packs.
In my mind there are some foods that just go together. For example: French fries and ketchup. Oreos and peanut butter. Chips and salsa. Diet coke and cherry syrup. And of course, who could ever forget the best one of all: steak and potatoes.
While I’ve always been a fan of potatoes, whether mashed, or split open and piled with sour cream, cheese, and bacon, or deep fried and salted, I’m on board.
Steak was always a different story though. For years and years I believed that I didn’t like steak; I thought it was tough and flavorless. That all changed when, in my late teenage years, I ate at a Japanese restaurant and devoured a fillet mignon in about 2.7 seconds. All it took was one amazing steak, cooked the right way, to convince me that steak was actually pretty fantastic after all.
I had no idea steak could be so juicy, so tender, so melt-in-your-mouth perfect with such incredible flavor! But it was and it can be and ever since that day, I became a steak superfan, especially if we are talking about garlic steak. I’ll take garlic on pretty much anything (seriously, garlic is LIFE), but garlic steak is just out-of-this-world delicious.
So, it would make sense then, that since I’ve become somewhat obsessed with foil packs that I would also try a twist on steak and potatoes with lots of garlic and seasonings. Turns out this recipe was just waiting to happen because it is perfection.
That all goes to show you that steak and potatoes are a fantastic combination all the time and especially in this easy and insanely flavorful foil pack meal! Savory herbs, olive oil, and garlic bring these ingredients to life in just 30 minutes with pretty much zero cleanup.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN GARLIC STEAK AND POTATO FOIL PACKS?
- Top sirloin steak
- Baby yellow potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Minced garlic
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Dried parsley
- Dried thyme
- Fresh thyme or parsley (optional)
HOW DO I MAKE GARLIC STEAK AND POTATO FOIL PACKS?
To make these amazing foil packs, you’ll want to start by seasoning the steak. To do this, combine the pieces of steak with potatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and the rest of the seasonings and give it a toss to combine.
Next, tear off four 12 x 12 sheets of foil (no need to get out a ruler, but try to make them ample enough to put in the steak and potatoes, about that size). And divide the steak and potatoes between the sheets of foil.
Wrap the corners up around the ingredients to form the foil packs. Put the packs right on the grill grates and grill over high heat for about 10 minutes on both sides or until steak and potatoes are cooked through.
If you prefer to bake rather than grill the steak foil packs, then pop them in the oven at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until they are cooked through to desired doneness. I like to garnish my packs with fresh thyme or parsley and serve immediately while they are nice and hot.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR MAKING GARLIC STEAK AND POTATO FOIL PACKS
- Be sure to cut your steak into pieces that are at least 2 x 2 inches, and potatoes into pieces smaller than one inch. This ensures even cooking.
- I like my steak with just a teeny tiny hint of pink right in the middle, just to the point it’s about to disappear completely. If you like it that way too, I suggest cutting the steak into larger 2-inch chunks because the potatoes need enough time to cook all the way through.
- If you like more doneness to your steak, just cut it into 1-inch pieces and it should come out just right.
- For medium doneness on the steak, boil the potatoes first for five minutes before adding to the bowl and proceeding with the rest of the recipe. This will help them to cook faster once in the foil pack.
- If you prefer a bit of char on your steak, you can open up the packets at the end and cook for a couple minutes directly on the grill, or for baking you can switch the oven to broil for a few minutes, again with the packets opened.
Garlic Steak and Potato Foil Packs
- 2-2 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces (see note)
- 1 pound baby yellow potatoes quartered (or halved if they are already less than 1 inch in size, see note)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh thyme or parsley for topping (optional)
- Divide steak and potatoes between four 12x12 inch sheets of foil, then wrap the foil tightly around the contents to form your foil packs. Grill over high heat for about 10 minutes on each side or until steak and potatoes are cooked through OR bake at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through to desired doneness (see note).
- Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley and serve immediately.