Smoky Bacon & Corn Chowder – This thick n’ creamy corn chowder is perfect for the cooler months. A rich cheddar flavor, mixed with bacon and smoky paprika!
Can you believe this is actually the first soup recipe to appear on Creme de la Crumb? Um, what is that all about? Why did no one scream at me to get with the program here.
Have you been just sitting there, shaking your head, wondering when I’d stopping posting ice cream recipes and give you something a little more on the warmer side?
I apologize. I don’t know what I was thinking.
Honestly, I love soups. I always have. When we were growing up, I never could really get what my brother was talking about about when he muttered things like “chick food” whenever my mom made a batch of her homemade chicken noodle or cheddar broccoli.
Speaking of that cheddar broccoli, I will be making a phone call to her very soon to obtain the recipe for that soup. You must make it. Of all the cheddar broccolis I’ve tasted, and that’s quite a few, it is without doubt my absolute favorite. So take note, it will be on the horizon.
Along with about nine hundred and eleven other really incredible recipes from my mother’s repertoire that I intend to share with you.
I’ll eat soup anytime of year, but nothing is quite like a hot bowl of soup in the fall time. I made this one a few days ago for a dinner with my in laws. It was actually a soup bar (a genius idea) so we had several to try. I’m only slightly embarrassed to say that my own soup was my favorite.
What can I say. I did invent the thing so it’s sort of tailored to my taste perfectly. Bacon, cheese, smoky paprika…
I’m thinking about changing the name to My BFF Soup.
Smoky Bacon Corn Chowder
- ½ pound red potatoes - chopped into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- 1 large russet potato - chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup red or white onion - diced
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-2 cups corn - canned or frozen
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
- 8-10 strips bacon - cooked and crumbled
- Add potatoes to a large pot with enough water to just cover the potatoes. Boil about 10-15 minutes until tender. Remove from heat, strain out water and put potatoes in a bowl, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add flour. Stir until mixture thickens. Add water, chicken buillon, and garlic. Stir 1-2 minutes, then add potatoes. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes tip potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in diced onion, onion salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika. Cook about 5 minutes, then stir in corn, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, to thin to desired consistency. Top with additional bacon and cheddar cheese if desired.