The old classic macaroni gets a makeover in this Three Cheese Macaroni Stuffed Peppers version!
I’ve been in a pasta mega-mood lately. I’ve made it three times in the past four days, hence the qualification for mega-mood. I think it’s the cooler weather that does this. Is there a part of your brain that senses the weather changes and adjusts your food cravings accordingly? I took anatomy in college so I should probably know this, but a weather-food-a-thalamus isn’t really ringing any bells.
In know that old school mac n’ cheese is a tough act to beat but you know what’s better than one straight up macaroni and cheese? Three cheese macaroni. Stuffed inside a roasted bell pepper. Ohhhhyeahhhhh. Look at it – all stringy and gorgeous. Ah man, I seriously have a giant cheese crush.
When I married my husband he was very much a meat and potatoes guy. His taste has evolved a lot since I’ve been food blogging and making hundreds of new recipes, but I still occasionally get nervous when I fix something he probably wouldn’t have cared for a few years ago. Namely, vegetarian dishes. This macaroni does’n’t have a shred of meat – not even bacon – so like I said, I was a hair-bit nervous. But he loved it. Seriously, l.o.v.e.d. it! That’s when you know a dish is good. It doesn’t contain meat and your meat-loving spouse can’t get enough of it.
I’m convinced it’s the cheese trio. That’ll win anyone over.
Three Cheese Macaroni Stuffed Peppers
- 12 ounces dry elbow macaroni (NOT instant mac n' cheese)
- 1 1/4 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded + 1/2 cup, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half & half, or other milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 4 bell peppers (your color of choice)
- chopped parlsey, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400. Cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions, then drain.
- Add macaroni, cheeses (except for 1/2 cup white cheddar), heavy cream (or other milk) and stir over medium heat until cheeses are melted. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Chop the tops of the peppers off and scoop out the seeds. Fill pepper with cheesy macaroni. Top with remaining shredded white cheddar cheese. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired, serve warm.