Saucy slow cooker Asian Kung Pao Chicken with a spicy kick! Simple ingredients bring a ton of flavor to this easy-to-make family favorite.
I’ve officially had Kung Pao Chicken twice in the past 36 hours. I made this slow cooker version a couple of nights ago for dinner and instantly fell in love. If you’re a sauce person – like me – you’ll want to double this sauce because it is finger-lickin’ good.
But that was only the first time I had Kung Pao Chicken this week. Last night my husband came home from a business trip and we went out to dinner with my parents. They picked a Chinese restaurant I haven’t been to in years and I ordered the same thing I always ordered back in the days – Kung Pao Chicken. And here is the real kicker – I was disappointed because this slow cooker version was so much better. Like…. soooo much better.
Plus I’m pretty sure that this recipe is healthier than any restaurant Kung Pao Chicken. And easy! Just brown the chicken, throw it into the slow cooker with the sauce, let it work its magic for a few hours, and then add the last couple of ingredients. Perfect Kung Pao Chicken made with simple everyday ingredients and loaded with tons of flavor. I’m in love!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon red chile paste (like Sriracha - found near Asian section in more grocery stores)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- ⅓ cup peanuts (see note)
- optional: cooked rice, green onions
- Drizzle a large sauce pan with oil and saute chicken over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until browned
- Add chicken to a greased slow cooker. In a bowl whisk together sauce ingredients: garlic, soy sauce, chile paste, vinegar, brown sugar, and ⅓ cup water. Pour sauce into the slow cooker. Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 5-6 hours.
- About 10-15 minutes before serving, drizzle a pan with oil and saute peppers, zucchini, and garlic for 2-3 minutes until veggies are tender. Add to slow cooker.
- Whisk together corn starch and cold water til dissolved. Add to slow cooker and stir. Allow to thicken for 5-10 minutes. Serve over rice and garnish with peanuts and green onions as desired.
*double sauce ingredients if you like extra sauce - we do!