Savory seasoned Hawaiian hamburger steaks smothered in onions, mushrooms, and melty provolone cheese served over hot pineapple slices.
This has been the strangest February. Actually it’s been the strangest Winter now that I think about it. November was uncharacteristically warm, followed by a pretty normal December, then a F R I G I D and very snowy January in which I truly dreaded stepping out of the house or even out of the car to so much as run into the grocery store or fill up the truck with gasoline.
Then came February and with it the melting of our three plus feet of accumulated snow and some really fair weather days. I even took the twins to the park. It’s been bizarre.
But a good bizarre! Because I love warm weather and hate the cold and since that first snow came a few months ago I’ve been dreaming sunny Summer dreams non-stop. I’ve been sneaking pineapple into our meals every chance I get because pineapple feels and tastes so summery to me.
Dole Packaged Foods makes it easy to get my pineapple fix year-round with their carefully packaged-with-love fruits and veggies (I buy them on the regular). They’ve been trusted for generations to bring healthy, wholesome goodness into your kitchen and it’s no question why – their products taste good. Bottom line.
These Hawaiian hamburger steaks are a tasty 30 minute meal that will get you out of your boring dinner routine with a few simple ingredients and minimum mess. One bowl for the meat mixture, and one pan for cooking. These flavors – the hearty steak patties, savory sautéed mushrooms and onions, juicy and sweet pineapple, and that melty provolone cheese – work together so perfectly. All of that topped off with a bit of cracked black pepper and fresh cilantro will make you feel like you’re in paradise, regardless of what the weather is doing outside.
Hawaiian Hamburger Steaks
- 1 pound ground steak meat (you can also use ground beef)
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can Dole Pineapple Slices, drained
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine steak, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic power, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs, and egg yolk.
- Mash with your hands to mix well, then divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten each to make a patty that is less than ½ inch thick.
- Cook patties in a large lightly greased pan/skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and just cooked through (don't overcook or it will dry out). Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and onions to the pan where you cooked the steak patties. Saute over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add pineapple slices to pan and cook until pineapple is hot throughout.
- Transfer steak patties back to the pan and spoon some of the onions and mushrooms over each patty. Top each with a slice of provolone cheese, then cover the pan for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve smothered patties on top of pineapple slices and garnish with cracked black pepper and cilantro if desired.
Recipe in partnership with Dole Sunshine.