These insanely delicious grilled chocolate chip cookie bacon s’mores are everything you love about traditional s’mores, but BETTER.
Say whattttt?! National S’mores Day is right around the corner you guys and I am freaking out just a little bit because if there is one thing I love to eat, especially in the summertime, it’s s’mores. There’s just something about a toasty marshmallow I cannot resist. But today we are discussing s’mores in a whole new light.
Introducing: the GRILLED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BACON S’MORE. aka – the s’more to end all s’mores.
This is everything you love about a s’more – the melty chocolate and the toasty marshmallow – but better cause BACON and CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. The end. (mic drop…)
“Oh I don’t really like bacon…” said no one ever because bacon is e v e r y t h i n g. The IT that goes with everything. Or on everything. Or in everything. Or wrapped around everything. Gosh it’s bacon, it’s pretty much the Miss Congeniality of foods you know? Today it’s the centerpiece of our s’mores celebration and I could die a very happy camper right now.
The Grill – voiced by the actor, comedian and producer David Koechner – is encouraging people this summer to give their grill a little thrill by firing up something delicious and I’m pretty confident The Grill will be proud of what we’re doing here today. The Grill’s real passion is grilling and in particular, grilling with pork so a grilled bacon s’more just might bring tears of joy to his eyes.
Did you even know you could grill bacon?? You can! Today we are grillin’ it up on skewers, perfect for piling high on a gooey toasted marshmallow which – by the way – is also grilled. BAM. That just happened.
If you’re a grill-master (or just obsessed with grilling everything under the sun, like some people around here – no names…) be sure to keep up with The Grill by checking out his sizzling blog at GrillForIt.com, where he shares his most grilliant recipes (yes, I just said grilliant, roll with it), tips and stories from his culinary travels to inspire you. You can keep tabs on his ongoing grilling commentary on Twitter @GrillForIt and Facebook.com/GrillForIt.
- 12 slices thick cut bacon (hickory smoked, Applewood smoked or maple)
- 12 large marshmallows
- 2 large, scored chocolate bars, cut into 2-inch squares
- 12 skewers
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant French vanilla pudding mix - dry, not prepared (must be INSTANT - not cook and serve, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Make the cookies: In a bowl, cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar for 1 to 2 minutes until light and very fluffy. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk, and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated and dough comes together. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover very tightly and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll dough into balls (about 1½ inch) and space 2 to 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned on top. Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To grill the bacon: Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Thread bacon onto skewers in an S-shape. Place skewers directly on grill and cook 8 to 12 minutes, rotating as needed to ensure even cooking. Transfer to a plate, let cool and then remove bacon from skewers. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, roast the marshmallows: Roast marshmallows directly over the grill using skewers or roasting sticks until cooked to your preference.
- Assemble s’mores: Flip one cookie over so it’s upside down. Place a square of chocolate on top of the upside down cookie, then top with grilled marshmallow, bacon and a right side-up second cookie. Serve immediately.
This recipe has been sponsored by the National Pork Board – thanks for letting me work with the brands I love!3