30 minutes and a skillet is all you need to whip up this incredibly flavorful and hearty one pan creamy garlic herb chicken & potatoes!
Woo woooooo! It’s Sunday, the weather is gorgeous, I’m in my comfiest sweats, and I have this ^^ really amazing dinner recipe to share with you so yeah… I’m in a pretty good mood.
If you don’t already know this about me, I am a big fat number one fan of garlic. When I first really started experimenting in the kitchen I realized right off the bat how much I loved garlic and how much flavor it adds to a dish. I put it in just about everything because it not only “goes” with just about everything, but I feel like it enhances other flavors and gives a dish a really fantastic boost.
It’s that x-factor, that little extra oomph that a recipe needs to go from good to ohhhhhhhhhgosh that’s yummy.
But today it’s ALL about the garlic. Hence the name creamy garlic herb chicken and potatoes. If you are a garlic hater, that’s okay, we can still be friends. Just browse past this recipe like I would a red sauce ground beef spaghetti recipe (ewe. ewe ewe ewe.) and come back tomorrow for something a little more your style.
If you do like garlic, you are in good company my friend and you should kick back, relax, stay a while and smell the garlic aroma coming from this one pan meal that will change your weeknight dinner routine.
Besides the really really tasty flavor in this dish, I also love that it’s not just a main, but a main and a side rolled into one when you add those potatoes. I could honest to goodness just eat a big plate of this creamy garlic herb chicken and potatoes and be one hundred and seven percent satisfied for dinner tonight. That crispy chicken + browned potatoes + creamy sauce is all I need to be a happy camper. One taste and you will see why so put this on your menu for the week. You need this one pan meal in your life.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to even thickness) OR 4-6 chicken thighs + salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup thinly sliced potatoes (see note)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I added extra whole cloves at the end for aesthetic, completely optional)
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped rosemary (see note)
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs for topping (optional)
- Grease a large pan or skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken to pan and cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add potatoes, garlic, and herbs to pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and browned on the edges. (make sure to turn the potatoes half way through so they cook on both sides)
- Add heavy cream and cook another 4-5 minutes until hot throughout and thickened, being sure to stir periodically. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (for me this was bout ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper)
- Add chicken to pan and turn to coat in the cream sauce. Garnish with garlic cloves and herbs if desired and serve hot.
You can use fresh herbs, as suggested in the recipe OR you can substitute 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning.