Slow cooker chicken pot pie soup is an easy, creamy, and flavorful soup you’ll want to make all year round. A delicious twist on a comforting classic!
Even though I generally really hate the frigid temperatures, snow, ice, and can’t figure out half the time why I live in the mountains of Utah, I welcome all of these cold-weather things one time of year – Christmas time. It looks like story-book Christmas out my living room window as I’m sitting here cozied up in my favorite blanket and warmest sweat pants and I’m loving it.
Starting January 1 I am done with the snow but for the month of December I love these cold, gray days where things like crockpot soups are happening on the regular. The great thing about living in a place where you have four distinct seasons is that by the time you are really sick of one type of weather, a new one comes in and before long you are missing the last season. So I’m just letting myself soak up this sweat pants and soup season while it lasts because I know it won’t be around too long.
This soup is a fun little twist on the comfort food classic chicken pot pie. It’s creamy, veggie and chicken-loaded crockpot goodness topped with a warm biscuit. Or two. Or three. If you’ve got veggie haters in your house, this is a great way to get them to love their peas, corn, and carrots, and if you already love veggies then you’ll be extra crazy about this easy slow cooker chicken pot pie soup!
- 2 medium-large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas (or 1 can, drained)
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn (or 1 can, drained)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (or 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3-4 cups heavy cream (see note)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tube refrigerated biscuit dough
- In your slow cooker combine chicken, peas, corn, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions, cream cheese, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, and garlic powder. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. (Chicken should be cooked through and potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork)
- About 30 minutes before serving shred chicken with two forks and stir in heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake biscuits according to package's instructions.
- Serve bowls of soup topped with a biscuit or two and fresh thyme if desired.